• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Foogoo's Formica francoeuri journal (6-1-2015)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 26 2015 - 1:27 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I caught seven of these queens, alates and dealates along the Cajon pass on 4/18/2015. It was a mild, breezy day and hadn't rained recently so there must have been a random flight. I put them in test tubes where they didn't seem very comfortable, yet at least one dealate already began to lay eggs that night. I moved them to THA mini-hearths and Talus's I had on hand. Some of them I put loose sand in and two of them sealed up their nest. Two of them also accepted honey water. By the second day, all alates have removed their wings and had eggs. I'm keeping one in a test tube. These seem like a relatively low maintenance species so far.

These have been hypothesized as F. francoueri, aerata or moki.

IMG 20150418 191535
IMG 20150418 191234~01
DSC02814
DSC02834

Edited by Foogoo, June 1 2015 - 7:03 PM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Wamdar - Posted April 26 2015 - 7:16 PM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Nice work!

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 26 2015 - 7:18 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Jealous!! Totally wishing I had some Formica's!!!

Edited by Ants4fun, April 26 2015 - 7:19 PM.

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 27 2015 - 6:12 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Thanks! I've never knowingly seen Formica in the field before, and I came upon this flight by chance. So far these queens seem very low maintenance and can probably kept in tubes. Here's a closeup of a clutch of eggs tonight:

IMG 20150427 190417

• Jonathan21700 likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 29 2015 - 12:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just found two of these also. In addition to that, I took another specimen of a worker, and an alate I took from a nest at Mormon Rocks Station, so I will have some good microscope pictures of them and a positive ID soon. For now I can say for sure these are not F. francoeuri or F. moki. They are most likely F. aerata F. francoeuri.

Edit: So yeah, um I'm pretty sure these actually are F. francoeuri now. :)

Edited by dspdrew, May 3 2015 - 7:55 PM.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 3 2015 - 7:30 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Noticed tonight that at least one of the queen's eggs have become larvae. It's hard to tell with the others especially since their eggs are elongate.

IMG 20150504 195208

Edited by Foogoo, May 4 2015 - 7:28 PM.

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 7 2015 - 9:24 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

The larvae have gotten significantly fatter. I'm not sure if just part of their normal progression or because of the heat lamp I turned on since yesterday.

Also interesting to note is that while these gals are claustral, they still accept food. Of the two I have in Taluses which I added a bit of sand, one of them used the larger grains to seal off the entrance. The other one hasn't, and occasionally comes out and wanders. It's already accepted honey water so tonight I gave it a single fruit fly, which is now gone. It will be interesting to see if this ones brood develops any quicker or stronger than the ones who haven't eaten.

#8 Offline dean_k - Posted May 8 2015 - 7:48 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

From what I've read on the forum, fully claustral queens do accept food if given. It appears fully claustral means they don't try to forage in wild.

I never gave my Lasius queen any food though and she got her first food from her nanitic after 6 or 7 months later.

#9 Offline Miles - Posted May 8 2015 - 11:57 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Noticed tonight that at least one of the queen's eggs have become larvae. It's hard to tell with the others especially since their eggs are elongate.

There are 6-7 larvae in this image.

• AntTeen804 likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 11 2015 - 8:44 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

First coccoons! Not bad for 3 weeks. It's also obvious that the queens have been feeding the larvae the fruit fly and Blue 100 I offerred.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 4:37 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, my queen's larvae are developing pretty quickly too.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 27 2015 - 9:06 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
IMG 20150527 215115~01

'Cause the waiting is the hardest part

• Jonathan21700 and Lamarr like this

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 28 2015 - 12:04 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Mine is right there too.

#14 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 1 2015 - 7:03 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

First nanitics! Didn't even notice them, I think I was too preoccupied with the Pogonomyrmex last few days.

IMG 20150601 192023

• Wamdar and Lamarr like this

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 1 2015 - 8:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh yeah that reminds me; mine just got their first workers too. :)

#16 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 4 2015 - 9:12 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Mine should be any day this weekend.  The cocoons are fully developed.  I've also been feverishly working on a formicarium based on Drew's Amac boxes.  I'll post on it later in a new thread.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users