• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinders Dorymyrmex bicolor

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 18 2015 - 10:23 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I collected 8 D. Bicolor queens with my buddy David during my first anting trip on 3/14/15.  David gave me four more queens he had collected a few days earlier.  The queens were placed in test tubes (two per tube) and stored in a shoe box on my ant shelf.

Last night while feeding them I noticed I had already lost one queen, but the others all seem to be doing well. I gave them all a spot of honey on tin foil for food.  I'll post some photos of them as soon as I get some time to take a few.  I'll be out of town the rest of the week so it'll be next week at the earliest.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 18 2015 - 10:27 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I collected 8 D. Bicolor queens with my buddy David during my first anting trip on 3/14/15.  David gave me four more queens he had collected a few days earlier.  The queens were placed in test tubes (two per tube) and stored in a shoe box on my ant shelf.

Last night while feeding them I noticed I had already lost one queen, but the others all seem to be doing well. I gave them all a spot of honey on tin foil for food.  I'll post some photos of them as soon as I get some time to take a few.  I'll be out of town the rest of the week so it'll be next week at the earliest.

Have they eaten the honey? I'm debating if I should try feeding mine, not knowing if they would eat or not.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 18 2015 - 10:28 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Have they eaten the honey? I'm debating if I should try feeding mine, not knowing if they would eat or not.

I just fed them late last night (or early this morning, if you must, it was 2 am), so I don't know yet bud, but I'll let you know when I get back home on Sunday night and check on them. 

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 18 2015 - 6:45 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I just gave all mine a drop of honey/water and probably 3/4 of them went straight for it. So I guess claustral queens do enjoy a meal.

• BugFinder likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 18 2015 - 7:01 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Just have the honey available, it will help for sure. My Camponotus queen had 8 cocoons by her own. I am certain that all my queens drank honey, even if just a tiny amount and some I never saw drinking it.

• BugFinder likes this

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 19 2015 - 6:28 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Ugh, be careful BugFinder, found one of my queens drowning in the single drop. She must have been climbing on the tube around it and fell in. She's alive, but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't make it.

Are queens able to eat solid or gel food?

• BugFinder likes this

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted March 19 2015 - 6:49 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Ugh, be careful BugFinder, found one of my queens drowning in the single drop. She must have been climbing on the tube around it and fell in. She's alive, but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't make it.

Are queens able to eat solid or gel food?

Ants can only digest liquid food (gel food included). But larvae have some ability to digest solid protein.

Edited by dean_k, March 19 2015 - 6:50 PM.

#8 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 19 2015 - 7:27 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Be careful with the honey in drop form, even if it may appears small to human. The queen would die from stuck in honey or even water, high humidity and moisture included. I usually use paper soak in water instead and honey in a small straw or rub on a piece of twisted paper.

• Foogoo and BugFinder like this

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted March 20 2015 - 6:03 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I use tinfoil with a small drop of sugar water or hummingbird nectar.  I have found honey too sticky for many smaller queens or nanitics.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 23 2015 - 9:30 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

When I returned home yesterday, I found all but two of my queens are alive, so instead of 12 I now have 10.

Edited by BugFinder, March 23 2015 - 9:31 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#11 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 30 2015 - 5:54 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

3 of my P. Bicolor colonies have eggs, and one of those has a couple larvae!  These colonies are looking really good so far.  One concern, a couple of the test tubes have developed some scary looking black mold in the cotton.  

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:22 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Mold problems will only get worse. May want to gently relocate asap.
  • BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#13 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:17 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Mold problems will only get worse. May want to gently relocate asap.

Test tubes don't seem like the ideal habitat for Dorymyrmex. Mine constantly tug at the cotton, trying to dig themselves a chamber, which usually ends up in flooding and drowning. Do you think it's worth the stress to move her?

#14 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 30 2015 - 8:48 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I have formicaria coming in the mail.  They'll have to stay put until it arrives.  Mine are tugging at the cotton too and shredding it.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#15 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 25 2015 - 2:37 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I about a week ago I placed one of my colones (two queens) of D. Bicolor into a Biformica growth chamber.  On 4/23/15 I noticed both queens were dead.  I've also lost several others that were in test tubes.  As of today I have 2 colonies with one queen each, and 1 colony with 2 queens, all in test tubes.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 25 2015 - 2:42 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

How likely is it they died of dehydration?

• Can I use the byFormica GroTube if I only have a queen or a small colony with a few workers?
    • Yes. The GroTube may work great for queens and/or small colonies. However, there are some special considerations to keep in mind: Fully claustral queens should be sealed inside the GroTube by stuffing both entrances with cotton. With queens and small colonies, ensure that at least part of the nest is kept hydrated by injecting 1 ml or more of water into one or both reservoirs, every few days, as needed to keep at least one section moist, similar to an underground dwelling.  Allowing queens and small colonies both a wet and dry area is important for colony founding and well-being.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 25 2015 - 2:47 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#17 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 25 2015 - 2:46 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I suppose it's possible, but I had queens in test tubes die during the same time frame, I didn't suspect it had anything to do with the grow tube.  I had a mess of queens of that species, now I have 3.  As far as I know, that's par for the course in anting.  Am I wrong Terry?

Edited by BugFinder, April 25 2015 - 2:47 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#18 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 25 2015 - 2:51 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No, you're not wrong.  Queens die of natural or unknown causes all the time—Drew was losing a couple every day when he was keeping hundreds last year.  

However, I can not overstate the importance of keeping at least part of the nest semi-moist, so the queens have a source of drinking water along with a choice between wet or dry areas, during colony founding.

Better luck next time.

• BugFinder likes this

#19 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 25 2015 - 2:57 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I have to growth chambers, the other has a Pogonomyrmex in it and she is doing just fine so far.  I think it's just random, not because of the nest they were in.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#20 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 25 2015 - 2:58 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I about a week ago I placed one of my colones (two queens) of D. Bicolor into a Biformica growth chamber.  On 4/23/15 I noticed both queens were dead.  I've also lost several others that were in test tubes.  As of today I have 2 colonies with one queen each, and 1 colony with 2 queens, all in test tubes.

I have a similar experience with my D. insanus queens. Out of 11 queens and 2 D. bicolor queens, I only have one of each left. A few deaths were preventable (drowning, flooding) but the rest were mysterious. Maybe they're just a touchy queen.

• BugFinder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users