• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Journey to build a founding nest

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 28 2015 - 5:26 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

This is nearly identical to the cylinder/vase project I've been working on.  I went the silicone mold route.  I made a positive model out of clay first.  Unfortunately, the silicone vendor I worked with told me to seal the clay positive with a sealer.  GAH!  The sealer actually constricted the clay and made it smaller either right before or during the mold casting.  So now I have a mold that no longer fits my vases.  :ugone2far:

I've been thinking about giving up entirely, but word to the wise if you try to go this route...lesson learned.  I have a bunch of vytaflex 10 left over if you'd like me to cast a mold for you.  Then you could instantly reproduce your finals.  Well, not instantly, but with just a pour.

I had considered an external mold but I want to try this dissolving mold first. Although I imagine if the mold size isn't just right you'll end up with a hydrostone insert that doesn't fit or leaves a gap for sand and eggs to fall in? Likewise, I have a billion of those dram containers if you want a few to play with.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#42 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 28 2015 - 6:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

BTW drtmiller how is your laboratory based nest coming along?

In progress, but on hold.  I have some Solenopsis invicta queens being reared in one as we speak.

Here they are, 12 days after introduction.  You can spot some first instar larvae already!

--

Meanwhile, here are some others in the all new byFormica GroTube with GlassBox Arena—same situation:

--

In all honesty, the ones I put in test tubes aren't doing so well.  That's partly my fault, but even one that is doing well isn't doing as well as the ones in either the petri dish or GTXL.

Also, for clarity, the petri dish I'm developing is not a lab design.  I have some really neat ideas that I'd like to incorporate though, partly based on some work Drew did a while back with his Acromyrmex colonies.  I can't say anything is coming soon—but it will arrive, one day.

P.S.  If you want to know what projects I'm actively working on, check for the ones in BLUE in my project roadmap:

http://www.byformica.com/roadmap

Right now, Petri Dish, at the very bottom, is in yellow, which means it's not dead, but is not something I'm 100% focused on right this moment.  If I had more of me, there would be more blue projects.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 28 2015 - 6:46 PM.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#43 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 14 2015 - 10:57 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Since making the nest in a mold and transferring it to a new container did not work (quickly and easily that is) due to the hydrostone expanding, my only choice was to make it in the container with a type of "internal" mold, aka mandrel that could be destroyed and removed once the hydrostone set. This is apparently common in the industrial world to make aerospace and engine components, but one of my goals was to keep it cheap so I discarded this idea early on. Wax may work but heating and residue would remain issues.

I essentially gave up ("went on hiatus") until Bill from Oozeq reached out in response to a mandrel question I posted elsewhere. Oozeq sounded like it would work: moldable, dissolvable, non-toxic, and most importantly, cheap.

Oozeq comes white and is basically the consistency of Silly Putty. I actually found it easier to work with than modeling clay and made a few test nests the same way I did with clay: best I could with a chopstick. It's tacky enough to stick to the container until pouring the hydrostone, though it will fall/shift if you don't stick it well or jar it.

Removing it was a bit tricky. It doesn't actually dissolve as in dissociate like salt, but softens. Soaking it in water and prodding/picking/poking at it with a wire and twist tie eventually got it out. I asked Bill for other suggestions and he recommended mixing the Oozeq with baking soda and soaking with vinegar as well as mixing amylase with the water. So far, the baking soda + vinegar has worked the best. Still takes some poking to get it all out but much quicker and it seems to liquefy it. Plus, the baking soda creates a pitted pattern, much like sandstone. I'm still testing the amylase.

I think this is what I'm going to use. I made a few different prototypes and put some of the unsettled Pogonomyrmex in them. Can't really attest to their success until colonies begin to develop (even then it'll be impossible to say if they wouldn't have in a test tube) but it's a cheap alternative to try instead of a test tube.

Disclaimer: Nothing was offered to me to promote, mention or endorse Oozeq.

IMG 20150609 202640
IMG 20150602 185344
IMG 20150603 195227
IMG 20150611 224136
IMG 20150611 194716
IMG 20150611 194700
IMG 20150614 183927

Oops wrong image, oh well :rolleyes:
IMG 20150605 210330

• Lamarr likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#44 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 14 2015 - 11:10 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

There are lots of dissolvable materials.  The trick is finding one that dissolves in something that won't leave another material or residue that may be harmful to the ants, especially considering how porous plaster is.

If one was 3D printing a design, PVA may work, as it dissolves in water.

With that in mind, good first step.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 14 2015 - 11:11 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#45 Offline Antking117 - Posted April 3 2017 - 3:46 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

What ever happened...

#46 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted April 14 2018 - 6:23 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I feel like this is a lot of unnecessary work for something that basically is a test tube set up, just fancier looking.

#47 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 7 2018 - 8:23 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I would like to know more about these petri dish setups. More so for smaller cryptic ants such as Ponera, Hypoponera, Strumigenys, etc. that can't really use a test tube too well without modifications.

Edited by AntsAreUs, June 7 2018 - 8:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users