• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants4fun's Tapinoma sessile journal (ended)

tapinoma sessile

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 16 2015 - 6:44 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I found this colony less than a week ago under a large piece of bark. A got around 7 queens, a few hundred workers, and well over a hundred larvae. Since then they have laid hundreds of eggs.
Despite what I here many people say, they (so far) have been really responsive to food. They love mealworms and suger water the best though.

I heard that they breed within the next, so I am hoping for some queens this year!

The colony
image.jpg
image.jpg

The brood
image.jpg

Them eating
image.jpg
image.jpg

Edited by Ants4fun, July 12 2015 - 12:28 PM.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#2 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted April 16 2015 - 6:50 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Good luck!  Keep us updated.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 22 2015 - 5:21 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I found two other colonies warming under rocks. One with about 4 queens, and the other with only one. I tried to see if they would be friendly, so I introduced a worker into my main colony, but they fought. Otherwise my colony Is doing good. Although I moved them into a test tube for better viewing. I can see that they have 8 queens, and about 500 workers. The larvae are about to pupate as well. They keep on producing a ton of eggs, and I think I might get some queens this year!

Edited by Ants4fun, April 22 2015 - 5:25 AM.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted April 22 2015 - 6:43 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice.

Can't wait to see how they do.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 30 2015 - 7:44 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I let this colony go and kept two smaller colonies. One with eight queens, and another with just one. The 9 queen colony has around <100 workers and the 1 queen colony has around 50 workers.

The larger colony is kept in a test tube. I just fed them honey, and they loved it! Near half the colony was at droplets , and even one of the queens came in and ate some! Both colonies have a lot of eggs and a few larvae.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ants4fun, May 15 2015 - 5:29 PM.

• Myrmicinae likes this

#6 Offline William. T - Posted April 30 2015 - 12:21 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

These colonies seem to do well at first, but almost all journals of this species end after six or so months. Try to heat them and provide a diverse diet. My T. Sessile loves heat and Camponotus workers..

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#7 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 30 2015 - 12:30 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

These ones hate the heat.  In fact I used a heating cable to move them...

#8 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 15 2015 - 5:59 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Update: Colony number 1(9 queen colony) this colony has lots of eggs, hundreds. Although they have been eggs for a while, they haven't turned into larvae. I moved them into one of Crystal's nests. So far they are huddled in the entrance. These also have a couple reproductives. Not sure if they have males, females, or both...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Colony 2: (1 queen colony) this colonies larvae turned into pupae a while ago, and are currently enclosing. They too are in one of Crystal's formicariums.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally, the colony I let go. I let this colony go a couple weeks ago. They had around a hundred workers, a few queens, and a large amount of pupae. Today I saw them moving into a crack in the concrete by my garage door. Since that small amount of time when I let them go, they already have lots of workers, and lots of reproductive brood.

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • Myrmicinae likes this

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 15 2015 - 6:16 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Cool little nest.  Is that one of Crystal's, or did you make it yourself?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 15 2015 - 6:18 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Crystal's

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 15 2015 - 6:20 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I knew it looked familiar.  She makes some nice ones :~)

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#12 Offline William. T - Posted May 15 2015 - 6:29 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Update: Colony number 1(9 queen colony) this colony has lots of eggs, hundreds. Although they have been eggs for a while, they haven't turned into larvae. I moved them into one of Crystal's nests. So far they are huddled in the entrance. These also have a couple reproductives. Not sure if they have males, females, or both...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Colony 2: (1 queen colony) this colonies larvae turned into pupae a while ago, and are currently enclosing. They too are in one of Crystal's formicariums.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Finally, the colony I let go. I let this colony go a couple weeks ago. They had around a hundred workers, a few queens, and a large amount of pupae. Today I saw them moving into a crack in the concrete by my garage door. Since that small amount of time when I let them go, they already have lots of workers, and lots of reproductive brood.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yeah, few queen colonies are hard to sustain. Capture more queens and workers to boost the colony, as they accept many queens and workers. The queen gets done in by the stress of egg laying. The eggs of this species is huge compared the gaster of the queen. That reminds me... must raid a T. Sessile nest for queens and workers!

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#13 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 15 2015 - 6:42 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

My colonies don't accept any other workers/queens. I tried a couple times though.

#14 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 12 2015 - 12:27 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I let all my colonies go after the brood was not developing.

#15 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted July 15 2015 - 12:36 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

I let all my colonies go after the brood was not developing.

I can't understand how this could be so common to see for everyone keeping T. sessile, despite widely varying captive diets and conditions.  In the wild, they seem to reproduce very rapidly.  Ugh.  Confusing.  :hmm:

Edited by Myrmicinae, July 15 2015 - 12:37 PM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tapinoma, sessile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users