• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted October 6 2013 - 12:22 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

So... I live in Southern Ontario. I can't tell if my ants are just ready for hibernation or sick. They are very slow and lethargic and some even seem to curl up (play dead). Luckily I left that colony for a few days (because I was too lazy to clean the test tube out yet) and they all came back to life. Now, because they are all slowing down does that mean that it's hibernation time?

The temperature these days ranges from 45F to 65F. I'm afraid if I hibernate them too early it will be bad for the colony. With that being said, the only really active colony I have is my Solenopsis molesta colony. I haven't noticed a slow down with them. The only slow downs are my Tetramoriums and Formicas.

#2 Offline wook - Posted October 6 2013 - 4:19 AM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Yes, it is time for them to be inactive.

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted October 6 2013 - 6:08 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Yes, mine have been inactive for the last month.  My Camponotus even closed themselves in.  Mine are already in hibernation.

If they are in a test tube, fine.  If they are in a formicarium, ensure it stays moist.

I placed my colonies in a cooler and have a thermometer sticking out.  I plan to keep mine between 2-8C.  I use frozen water bottles to adjust the temperature.

I used this thermometer, cheap but it works.  And if I break it by pinching it in the lid nothing is lost.  Free shipping, but it can take over a month to arrive.

http://dx.com/p/digi...te-sensor-15553

If they are in test tubes, be careful and watch closely when you warm them back up, the tubes may flood.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted October 6 2013 - 9:16 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Awesome guys. Kay thanks. Ima put them in the cold room in the basement. Or would the fridge be better? (We have a spare fridge in the basement too.)

#5 Offline wook - Posted October 7 2013 - 3:31 AM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

No need to put them in the fridge, Merc, it's enough to keep them in basement I think. :)

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted October 7 2013 - 5:58 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Depends on how cold your basement is. Anything below 12C should work.

Our basement sits at 18C, which isn't cold enough.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted October 7 2013 - 4:31 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

My basement sits at around 20C. I'm going to leave them in the fridge. If Crystals is going to leave her ants at 2-8C then my fridge should be fine.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted October 7 2013 - 5:14 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

My ants often overwinter under the bark of trees, even when our weather hits -40C.

My two thermometers are registering 6.4C and when I opened the cooler, the one Lasius colony is still active and the Camponotus are very sluggish, but still drinking nectar.

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users