• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

jjjakes Camponotus cf. sansabeanus Journal (4-12-15)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jjjakes - Posted April 12 2015 - 6:35 PM

jjjakes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

For my first foray into ant keeping, I collected 6 queens that I believe are Camponotus sansabeanus on April 8th, 2015. All of them were found under rocks ranging from 3-6 inches and all had started digging nests. I put them into their test tube setups on April 9th along with a few cocoons I found in wild C. sansabeanus I uncovered while looking for the queens. So far, only one of the queens has laid any eggs, and she is the one I took pictures of.  This queen and a couple of the others appear to have accepted some of the cocoons I gave them.

Included in each test tube is a drop of honey. 

IMG_2302.JPGIMG_2304.JPG

Edited by jjjakes, April 14 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 12 2015 - 8:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The images do not show up.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 12 2015 - 10:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It looks like he tried to get a URL from a Gmail account or something.

#4 Offline AntLover101 - Posted April 13 2015 - 3:45 AM

AntLover101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania,USA
Ya, I guess
I wanna get my hands on some Campontus Pennsylvanicus or Ponera Pennsylvanica Queens!:D

#5 Offline jjjakes - Posted April 14 2015 - 10:29 AM

jjjakes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Argh I don't want to go back to Photobucket... >.> Hopefully it works now. 

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 14 2015 - 11:04 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Beautiful queens! Good luck! :)

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 14 2015 - 11:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Those look identical to the ones we find around here that I'm starting to suspect are C. sansabeanus. Where did you find these?

#8 Offline jjjakes - Posted April 16 2015 - 1:51 PM

jjjakes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I found these across the road from Seaworld here in San Antonio. All of the queens where under rocks, and they were everywhere. I've decided they are C. sansabeanus because of all the nests I've found in the area with all the queens. All of the workers look exactly like this: 

CamSansabaenus1-S.jpg

Oh and I went and found a few more, so now I have a total of 10 queens, and I also harvested a ton of eggs and small larva. Thankfully all of the queens accepted them and I've witnessed most of them lay their own eggs too. 

#9 Offline jjjakes - Posted May 5 2015 - 7:11 PM

jjjakes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

UPDATE: 5/5/15

I have exciting news and disappointing news. The disappointing part is, of the 10 Queens that I had, 2 have died. The exciting part is that I massively boosted all the rest with probably 10 cocoons and 10 larva each, and one queen now has 3 workers, and 2 other queens have 2. I expect 10 or so workers to hatch between the three of them in the next few days or so. 

And the icing on the cake is the C. sayi queen I caught about a month ago started laying eggs finally and she now has about 5. :)

Pictures to come tomorrow, when there is better light. 

Edited by jjjakes, May 5 2015 - 7:11 PM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users