• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant lion cone?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Wamdar - Posted April 12 2015 - 5:22 AM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Is this the cone that ant lions make?

Attached Images

• IMG_0262_lzn.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 12 2015 - 7:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yup.

#3 Offline AntLover101 - Posted April 12 2015 - 7:49 AM

AntLover101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania,USA
I think so
I wanna get my hands on some Campontus Pennsylvanicus or Ponera Pennsylvanica Queens!:D

#4 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 12 2015 - 5:42 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

It is.

#5 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 12 2015 - 5:50 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Yes for sure. Dig one up they look really funny.

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 12 2015 - 8:12 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have seen holes like this under oak trees- which are actually produced by constant raindrops dripping off of leaves into the same spot. I say the best way to tell is to dig about a teaspoon full of dirt out of the bottom and seeing if there is a angry looking insect in there.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#7 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 12 2015 - 10:20 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

it actually quite hard to find the ant lion, since they blend in very well. The best way to confirm and catch is, drop a tiny ant and wait. If the sand start to get pushed up, then it is confirmed that there is ant lion. To catch it, scoop up the whole area. You may try to filter through and try to find it. Or, if you are as lazy as me, just leave it there for a few day and a new cone will appear again. Just drop a ant or any chubby insects (chubby spider works the best) once a while. Soon you will get a cocoon covered in sand and a beautiful green fly (after a long time in a cocoon).

For easier viewing, you can replace the dust with sand or even sugar. It actually don't need a huge area to live in.

#8 Offline Wamdar - Posted April 13 2015 - 3:57 AM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thanks for the information! I was wondering too if they were drops because I found some under a tree but eventually found a whole area of them out in the open. I'll collect up a few ants and sprinkle them in and see what happens!

#9 Offline cpman - Posted April 15 2015 - 5:46 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

You can also catch them by "fishing" for them. If something hits their jaws, they'll grab it.

I used to use blades of grass to pull them out of their cones. They are pretty cool looking.

#10 Offline Wamdar - Posted April 16 2015 - 5:48 AM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

i think this might be one...I'll go fishing for them next time! sounds like fun

Attached Images

• IMG_0284.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users