• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Potential advances towards a fungus-free formicarium

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 11 2015 - 9:10 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Fungus seems to be a constant issue with formicariums since it combines humidity with heat and food, creating the perfect environment for fungus to grow. Keeping the formicarium clean is nearly a futile effort since ants (at least mine) are messy eaters and tend to hoarde food. Good luck trying to keep the cotton of test tubes clean. I began to wonder if there's a way to inhibit the growth of fungus and mold, especially after suspecting it may have contributed to the demise of some queens. As a hobbyist who last took biology almost 15 years ago, here are some of the solutions I think are worth exploring:

• Springtails and Fungus Gnats - Probably the primary controllers in nature. However, will be tough to maintain in a formicarium since they'll need a constant food source and will probably be eaten by the ants. Might be worth trying if you have a large, aquarium style environment.
  • Sphagnum Moss - A lot of vivarium keepers recommend long fiber sphagnum as being anti-fungal. Is it the same live and dry? Is it the moss or a chemical in the moss? Or is it a bacterial the moss supports? I'm thinking of placing a small amount of sphagnum next time I use some of my THA nests that tend to have issues. What about using moss juice to hydrate the nest? Or moss juice in the end of test tubes? Or just shoving a ball of wetted moss in a tube, the queen might like digging in that...
  • Bacillus subtilis - Appears to have been studied extensively for it's anti-fungal properties. Found in yogurt probiotic supplements, apparently. I wonder if seeding a nest with it would help.
  • Anti-fungal Cream - Someone tried using it in their terrarium. At first I thought that's crazy, but then again, why not? Assuming it's not toxic to ants...

Actual biologists feel free to chime in and tell me I'm off my rocker! :medicine:

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 11 2015 - 9:42 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Eventually I hope to compile all methods here:

http://www.byformica.com/Janitors

If anyone wants to edit the existing article to add more information, feel free to do so.  I also intend to sell a kit of janitors that one can dump into a formicarium foraging area—current status is In Development.

I didn't add fungus gnats to the list, because they only eat mold, so when it runs out, the gnats will no longer reproduce.  Their larvae (maggots) are also very attractive targets for ants.

Sphagnum moss will require a strong light source and constant dampness.  I don't think it's suitable for most habitats, especially those containing smaller ants that would be more apt to nest in it.

Soil bacteria are fine, as long as there is diversity.

I think most anti-fungal creams target a very specific type of organism, and are not a good idea in ant setups.

Edited by drtrmiller, April 11 2015 - 9:52 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 12 2015 - 12:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The sphagnum moss doesn't have to be alive to have antimicrobial properties. From what I have read, it contains phenolic compounds that lower the pH of its surroundings. I'm actually using sphagnum moss as the sponge inside my large ant farm boxes water tanks. You can let it sit saturated practically forever without having any mold or bacteria even start to grow on it.

• cpman likes this

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 12 2015 - 8:06 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Drew have you not thought about taking a couple pieces of sphagnum moss and putting it in the water of a test tube before putting the cotton in to keep mold and bacteria from growing?

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 12 2015 - 8:20 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Drew have you not thought about taking a couple pieces of sphagnum moss and putting it in the water of a test tube before putting the cotton in to keep mold and bacteria from growing?

That's exactly what I was thinking, easy experiment with nothing to lose. I'll have to remember to try that.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 12 2015 - 8:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Or put the moss in a blender to make a paste...

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 12 2015 - 10:03 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

In the indoor nest, my Camponotus moved to dry area to avoid fungus. However, they have put the left over in hydrated area of the nest and mould has appeared. I have tried the springtails, but the ants just kill them.

On another hand, I have put some tree resins in and hoping they may help with the threat of the fungus. See link for similar experience. http://rspb.royalsoc...t/274/1621/2013

My Pheidole nest had same issue when it was indoor, but now it is outside and doesnt appear to have such issue anymore, but the nest is covered in green moss. I think naturally something would come and consume them. That said, the left over foods in the Camponotus has attracted tiny mites...

Edited by antmaniac, April 12 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 13 2015 - 7:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well if the moss is just going to make the water more acidic, I'm not sure that will be good since it's their only source of drinking water.

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 13 2015 - 4:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well if the moss is just going to make the water more acidic, I'm not sure that will be good since it's their only source of drinking water.

It is acidic? I think that it would still work for formicines.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 14 2015 - 6:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The sphagnum moss doesn't have to be alive to have antimicrobial properties. From what I have read, it contains phenolic compounds that lower the pH of its surroundings.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted April 14 2015 - 12:26 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have found if I can prevent the ants from dragging their food into the nest, I have not had any situations with mold.

I usually use a pin through the insect to keep them from getting it into the nest.

I have also found that if I avoid giving the ants a lot of excess room in their nest that they usually don't store garbage in it.  Although I still have issues with certain species like Camponotus herculeanus.  If I pin their meal well, almost nothing goes into the nest.

I have also found that creating an "insect slurry" helps prevent garbage build up with some of the messier species.  Just throw a bunch of insects like mealworms, crickets, etc in the blender and serve.  Freeze the exess in small containers.

I also live in a location that is pretty dry for most of the year, so that probably helps.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#12 Offline BrittonLS - Posted June 1 2015 - 4:55 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Are you saying I can put rolly pollies in my nest to take care of it? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users