• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica balcanina and cinerea colony

formica balcanina ant colony

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline wook - Posted September 30 2013 - 2:24 PM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
At 26. June 2013. my Formica pratensis queen escaped, later on that day, I've found one small Formica queen which I wasn't able to identify, she was only 6.5mm long, very skinny, with wings. I wasn't even sure if she had mated or not. nor will I keep her or not.
8896286773_0290a9ba42_z.jpg
(Formica pratensis)

9144156088_50353205ed_z.jpg
Formica balcanina)

I've kept her for over night, but next day I've found another, slightly different, this time 1-1.5mm larger with red legs. Identified as Formica cinerea
9179707292_449c671cdf_z.jpg
(Formica cinerea)

As I've expected, they were polygynus and they helped each other to shed wings.

In next couple of days I've found three more queens and put them in same colony.
Before I caught last queen, I was observing her for couple of hours. She was standing on the sun, near one small hole...Just waiting for nothing.
When i took her she was more than happy to join "family".

With time, they started to lay eggs. Everything was good, but, even I wasn't providing any other food than honey, there was some weird scent.
I used to remove lid so that they could have more air.
One day I've found one queen behaving very weird. She was like dizzy or something. I even have her on video.
four queens was in foraging area. Two had some brood in their mandibles other two was protecting-like. Somehow I managed to "eject" dizzy queen out of tube, and picked her up. I also added new tube to queens.
Dizzy queen wasn't behaving very happy...She was walking, but very slow. I cleaned her thorax with wet cotton, her head too, and I provided some sugars to her. Then I put her back, in new foraging area.
In next few hours, she was like new, running around tube with rest of pack.
I had issue with brood left in old tube, there was like 50 eggs, each one of them I took carefully and put in new tube.

Few days ago, I fed them with chicken. Even queens went out to eat chicken.
Next day, chicken was all green and wet. And all that smell, again was so present.
I assume they're using formic acid to dissolve food. Don't really know reason why they do such, but it seems they will do it again and again.

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted September 30 2013 - 3:43 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Odd that they use formic acid.  But I found numerous queens in rotten logs, and the wood around them had a green stain up to several cm away.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline wook - Posted September 30 2013 - 3:57 PM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Could be odd, could be I am wrong, that's just what comes cross my mind because I fed all other colonies and all other meat was fine - white.

...:::]|wook|[:::...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, balcanina, ant, colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users