• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bugfinders Tetramorium Caespitum

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dean_k - Posted April 7 2015 - 1:18 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

In my experience with 2 of those, the best way relocate the colonies is to dump everything into the outworld. And then make sure the outworld is under a bright light. This makes the nest below a far more attractive option for ants.

Generally, after half a day, they move below.

#22 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 7 2015 - 1:34 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Nice colony! THA makes amazing looking formicariums. How many workers are there?

I'm not sure, but I'd guess around 50-70.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#23 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 7 2015 - 7:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Mine is living in two test tubes, and are over two hundred workers now. :P What were the circumstances to your colonies dying besides test tubes, because mine are doing great.

How do you feed them without having a million (more like 20) run out?

Fluon. :D

I've never tried Fluon in a test tube before, but it does sound like something that could work.

Wait what? I was referring to using a foraging container with their open test tube.

#24 Offline ToeNhi - Posted April 7 2015 - 9:27 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA
Jay, you should definitely apply a barrier to the top of the outworld otherwise they will climb up and eventually out. I found the glass from a 4x6 picture frame works great as an alternative to the lid. You will need to find a way to cut a whole at the top to vent.

You may also want to plug the hydration ports that lead out of the nest as Tetramorium caespitum will squeeze their way out. I use map pins with a little Elmers glue to keep it in place.

-ToeNhi

#25 Offline Miles - Posted April 7 2015 - 9:49 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Jay, you should definitely apply a barrier to the top of the outworld otherwise they will climb up and eventually out. I found the glass from a 4x6 picture frame works great as an alternative to the lid. You will need to find a way to cut a whole at the top to vent.

You may also want to plug the hydration ports that lead out of the nest as Tetramorium caespitum will squeeze their way out. I use map pins with a little Elmers glue to keep it in place.

I'm sorry if I'm not following, but why not use the lid included? I definitely agree that Fluon would be a smart addition to the escapee deterent system for this formicarium.

I use those pins as well! Do note, all, that THA will use a smaller tube size if you are ordering for small ants or request it - all you have to do is ask. I use the larger size primarily because it's harder for something to block, and because those pins work just fine for blocking them off.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#26 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 7 2015 - 10:10 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm sorry if I'm not following, but why not use the lid included? I definitely agree that Fluon would be a smart addition to the escapee deterent system for this formicarium.

I use those pins as well! Do note, all, that THA will use a smaller tube size if you are ordering for small ants or request it - all you have to do is ask. I use the larger size primarily because it's harder for something to block, and because those pins work just fine for blocking them off.

How is the ventilation on a normal THA formicarium lid? Pardon me for asking, I have just never seen one. Is there a mesh screen or something of the sort?

#27 Offline Miles - Posted April 7 2015 - 10:16 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

How is the ventilation on a normal THA formicarium lid? Pardon me for asking, I have just never seen one. Is there a mesh screen or something of the sort?

Yes, there is a stainless steel mesh vent at the top. Other ventilation is achieved through the watering tubes and connections. They are actually very well ventilated for most species - the only ones I would be concerned about would be the mound building Formica, which are hardly suited to captive life anyways.

Edit: You can see the lid with the vent in the pictures that BugFinder posted.

Edited by Miles, April 7 2015 - 10:17 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#28 Offline ToeNhi - Posted April 7 2015 - 10:18 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Miles, I find that the smaller species like Linepithema humile and even Tetramorium caespitum are able to exploit the slightest imperfection in the fit of the included plastic lids. The glass sits flush, and the weight of the glass makes it more difficult for the ants to squeeze through. I think it's more of an issue when using heat lamps from above. It could warp the plastic lids just enough for the workers to escape.

-ToeNhi

#29 Offline Miles - Posted April 7 2015 - 10:19 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Miles, I find that the smaller species like Linepithema humile and even Tetramorium caespitum are able to exploit the slightest imperfection in the fit of the included plastic lids. The glass sits flush, and the weight of the glass makes it more difficult for the ants to squeeze through. I think it's more of an issue when using heat lamps from above. It could warp the plastic lids just enough for the workers to escape.

Ah. But this would be solved with a Fluon barrier, no?

#30 Offline ToeNhi - Posted April 7 2015 - 10:27 PM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Sorry for hijacking your journal Jay.

Miles, I find Tetramorium caespitum will eventually find a way through the Fluon. I have a colony of them now that has made their way through half the band of Fluon. As their numbers grow, I think they will be able to escape quicker. I'm trying to figure out how to reapply the Fluon without killing off a large number of them.

-ToeNhi

#31 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 8 2015 - 1:58 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

My lid fits so tightly that I didn't realize it was removable.  I called Mack to ask him a question and just take the lid off and I was like what?  it comes off?  lol.

Also, I told him what was going into it before he started building it and I think he adjusted the tube size for the size ants I'm using, so I'll report to you guys if I have any escapees or not.  This will be a good test.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#32 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 8 2015 - 3:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I find Tetramorium caespitum will eventually find a way through the Fluon. I have a colony of them now that has made their way through half the band of Fluon. As their numbers grow, I think they will be able to escape quicker. I'm trying to figure out how to reapply the Fluon without killing off a large number of them.

99% of the effectiveness of Fluon is in the application.  Fluon is a tool, and like any tool, you must know how to use it in order for it to work properly.

http://www.byformica.com/Fluon

Edited by drtrmiller, April 8 2015 - 3:10 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#33 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 11 2015 - 10:03 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

When I woke up this morning and checked my Nucleus colony, I discovered they had moved part of the brood out of the test tube, and into a corner of the outworld.  Since then, they have moved that group of brood into the food dish.  Why would they have put brood in the food dish with a partially eaten cricket.

There is still brood and queen and many workers inside the test tube, but there are now more workers outside the test tube than I have ever seen before.

Also, I have dozens of escapees this morning.  I have not had an escapee yet, but today I have dozens of them.  I can't figure out how they are getting out of there.

It looks like they've moved some of their trash and dead workers into the nest.

Crazy ants.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#34 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 11 2015 - 1:45 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

They might be feeding the cricket to the larvae...

#35 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 29 2015 - 5:42 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I've been suspecting for some time the queen in my TC #2 colony was dead (not the colony in the  nucleus, the one still in a test tube).  That was confirmed today when they dragged her out of the test tube.

What should I do with the remaining workers and brood?  Should I release them?  Should I use them as fish food? Can I put them in with my other TC colony to live happily in hte nucleus or will they not live well together?

Thanks for your advice guys (and girls).

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#36 Offline dermy - Posted April 29 2015 - 6:02 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I don't think they will accept the new workers and could be bad if they got in the nest and fought too many workers then you'd loose even more. If i had to say I'd say use them for fish food, but don't put them in with the other colony. As far as I know Tetramorium caespitum [spelling sucks] is Monogamous and only has one queen per colony [except a sub species I've heard about that is Polygyne but I don't think you can tell the difference easily.]

• BugFinder likes this

#37 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 29 2015 - 6:57 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

The good news is my other TC colony has finally moved into the nest portion of the Nucleus so I've discarded their test tube that I had in the outworld.  I've enjoyed watching the move the brood closer and closer to the water tower as the nest dries out, and them moving them away from it after I hydrate the nest....  They are so much fun to watch.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#38 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 18 2015 - 7:10 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

pSM47nN.jpg

ULc8LAX.jpg

• ctantkeeper likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#39 Offline Saftron - Posted July 28 2016 - 3:32 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Very nice! I wanted to ask you if you have any queens you could sell to me? I'm 39 minutes away from San Jose and only found 1 tetramorium queen so far. Hit me up @ antoniorekt77@yahoo.com

#40 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted October 3 2017 - 7:06 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Do you still have this colony?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users