• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Pulliamj - Posted June 14 2015 - 3:51 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
5B138C6B-48E1-4E38-BD83-AA52DCB83A9C.jpg
  • BugFinder likes this

#42 Offline Pulliamj - Posted June 14 2015 - 3:54 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I made a batch of sugar water. I squirted it on that leaf; they really like it. There are 3 nanitics 7 more soon to be. And also a dozen newly laid eggs. 1 of my other queens also got her first nanitic today.

#43 Offline Pulliamj - Posted June 14 2015 - 4:30 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
April 5-June13 from egg to nanitic. Is that normal? Or did I have them too cold? It was mainly 70-75 degrees with no heat strip or mat.

#44 Offline Pulliamj - Posted June 14 2015 - 4:35 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
809AE403-D5CC-4B20-9CA9-5BA090C8E697_1.j

#45 Offline Crystals - Posted June 15 2015 - 7:29 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Camponotus are usually pretty slow.  I put mine on a 15 watt heat cable and it speeds things up a bit.

If you ever can't find a leaf, tin foil also works well as plate.

• AntsNY likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#46 Offline Pulliamj - Posted June 20 2015 - 9:40 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I have nanitics from most of the queens now. I have at least 2 different species of Camponotus. The nanitics from one batch are totally different than the others. Will the larva and or pupae be larger when they are minor workers instead of nanitics? Also does the queen just know how many nanitics to make or is it determined by outside factors?

#47 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 1 2015 - 7:14 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
So I had 4 queens all with eggs and nanitics. 3 were kept outside in a storage shed. 1 is kept inside. I check in every other day or so. Today 1 of the colonies in a test tube is gone. Native majors from the outside attacked and destroyed them. I found 10 or so hanging out around the test tube. Lesson learned on my part. But I still have 3 colonies that seem to be doing well.

#48 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 1 2015 - 7:24 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Yeah, they could chew through the coton if they really wanted to.

#49 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 1 2015 - 8:59 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
The attackers chewed through the cotton. Actually 2 were inside the tube. They were also chewing into the other colonies tube but I caught them in time.

#50 Offline LC3 - Posted July 1 2015 - 11:48 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I have nanitics from most of the queens now. I have at least 2 different species of Camponotus. The nanitics from one batch are totally different than the others. Will the larva and or pupae be larger when they are minor workers instead of nanitics? Also does the queen just know how many nanitics to make or is it determined by outside factors?

Nanitics are only nanitics because they were reared by the queens fat storage so they don't have proper nutrition. Once they get the food they need the future larvae won't be nanitics. Just to note queens don't decide if this egg is a major or an alate or a minor, it depends on how much food is given.

#51 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 6 2015 - 5:16 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Should I brood boost one of these with the other? Or just let it progress naturally?

#52 Offline LC3 - Posted July 6 2015 - 5:44 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

It's recommended you brood boost using brood from mature colonies not young small colonies. 

PS. Someone tell me how nanitic is correctly spelt. .~.

#53 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 6 2015 - 5:56 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

www.amentsoc.org › Insects › Glossary
Mobile-friendly - Nanitic workers are workers in a eusocial insect colony (such as an ant or termite colony) that are smaller than the other ...

#54 Offline LC3 - Posted July 6 2015 - 6:14 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

thanks

#55 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 7 2015 - 4:41 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I had an escaped nanitic that I tossed in with another queen and nanitics. So far no aggression and it is with the other nanitics and brood. Interesting I thought it would be killed instantly. Maybe because it was away from its parent scent for awhile and then introduced it was accepted. I may have to try this again. Has anyone ever tried isolating an ant before introducing it?

#56 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 8 2015 - 10:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Was it callow?

#57 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 8 2015 - 10:33 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
No it was several weeks old.

#58 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 8 2015 - 10:59 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I separated one more in a container with some water. After 24 hrs I'll try to add it to the other queen.

#59 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 9 2015 - 5:46 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Second nanitic is doing okay with the other queen. I may wait a few more days and then continue adding nanitics and boosting this primary colony.

#60 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 10 2015 - 3:29 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I've been observing the queen that has adopted the 2 nanitics. They seem to be doing totally fine with their new sisters. They are taking care of brood just like the others. Has anyone ever tried this technique with wild ants of the same species? Seems like an excellent way of boosting captive colony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users