• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:04 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
image.jpg

#2 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:05 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Alright it worked. Well this is one of my queens. I will try and get one of those usb microscopes to get better pictures.

#3 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:09 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I'm doing a lot of reading on the formicariums. I'm having real trouble deciding what I would like. I would like something with one chamber and letting the ants tunnel in their own way. Maybe a board sandwiched between glass. With one of those cool looking clear outworlds. Could the hydration be achieved totally in the outworld?

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's generally better to hydrate the nest, and leave the out world dry.

#5 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:35 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I also like the all acrylic designs. But they do seem more like lab setups. I will continue to think about which one to try first. I guess I can experiment as I go.

#6 Offline Miles - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:43 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Those acrylic designs would be an especially poor choice for Camponotus. They are believed to be extra sensitive to plastics, on top of being formicines. Because of this, formic acid that the ants secrete will build up on the non-absorbent plastic, and possibly endanger the colony. 

I am an adamant critic of test tubes, and a test tube would be better for a colony of Camponotus than most acrylic nests, in my experience. I would personally recommend Tar Heel Ants' products. A large chambered Talus formicarium would do just fine for this species for a year or two.

Edited by Miles, April 5 2015 - 7:43 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:50 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Those acrylic designs would be an especially poor choice for Camponotus. They are believed to be extra sensitive to plastics, on top of being formicines. Because of this, formic acid that the ants secrete will build up on the non-absorbent plastic, and possibly endanger the colony. 

I am an adamant critic of test tubes, and a test tube would be better for a colony of Camponotus than most acrylic nests, in my experience.

Not a shred of controlled study or literature to support this, aside from personal anecdotes.  If Camponotus die from their own "formic acid," it's likely due to poor ventilation, and not the nest material alone.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Miles - Posted April 5 2015 - 7:53 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I am an adamant critic of test tubes, and a test tube would be better for a colony of Camponotus than most acrylic nests, in my experience.

Not a shred of controlled study or literature to support this, aside from personal anecdotes.  If Camponotus die from their own "formic acid," it's likely due to poor ventilation, and not the nest material alone.

Exactly! A great number of personal anecdotes. I'd love for some legitimate research to be done on this topic. 

Agreed, poor ventilation is a contributing factor, but one that would be negated by an absorbent material in another nest style. As I understand it, you're designing an acrylic-wood hybrid, which would solve this problem. Presumably, that's why you posted your response in that way.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#9 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 6 2015 - 3:53 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Good luck with this queen!

#10 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 6 2015 - 6:26 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If I do wood as the substrate. Would a certain wood be better than another? I was thinking about white wood, pine, basswood, or balsa.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2015 - 8:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It would depend on the species to know if they would even want to nest in wood or not.

#12 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 6 2015 - 9:08 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I found 3 of the queens in a rotten tree trunk in my yard. I'm almost certain they would best in wood.

#13 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 6 2015 - 11:03 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Wood formicariums are nice. I made one recently. But I am concerned if the wood is threated with chemicals.

#14 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 6 2015 - 11:13 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Okay more questions. How much room do I need to leave the ants between layers? And with tubing what size do I use?

#15 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 6 2015 - 11:28 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

What species of Camponotus is this?

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2015 - 11:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Okay more questions. How much room do I need to leave the ants between layers? And with tubing what size do I use?

Well the queen is going to have the biggest rear end of anyone in the colony, so that should give you an idea.

• dermy likes this

#17 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 6 2015 - 12:10 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I'm not sure about the species. But they are big ants for sure. I was thinking 1/2" openings.

#18 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 6 2015 - 12:39 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Sounds right.

#19 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 6 2015 - 5:47 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Why don't you just use the same rotten wood substrate from where you find the queens? I am sure they would like them.

#20 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 6 2015 - 6:03 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
That's what I was thinking lol. I was going to cut a slice of it and glue it to the side of a container.

Has anyone ever tried using that plastic cutting board? I was thinking about it. It would be easy to shape and glue to the container or glass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users