• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Let's talk aspirators

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 3 2015 - 8:21 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Didn't realize how valuable they are until I tried chasing down a bunch of tiny, possibly Technomyrmex, today. What does yours look like? Battery or human powered?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Miles - Posted April 3 2015 - 8:22 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Didn't realize how valuable they are until I tried chasing down a bunch of tiny, possibly Technomyrmex, today. What does yours look like? Battery or human powered?

Human powered. The standard BioQuip version sold through Tar Heel Ants. I have two, and use filters with them. Indispensable - I don't know how I went without them for years.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 3 2015 - 8:33 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I'm not seeing it on the THA website, maybe they're OOS. Is it one of these?

http://www.bioquip.c...2700&prodtype=1

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline Miles - Posted April 3 2015 - 9:21 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I'm not seeing it on the THA website, maybe they're OOS. Is it one of these?

http://www.bioquip.c...2700&prodtype=1

Yes, this one.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 3 2015 - 9:53 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have the bioquip version. They work great, just beware of the mesh. My mesh fell apart (mainly my fault) and I only fixed it today. Other than that, they work great!

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted April 4 2015 - 7:02 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I use a homemade version made out of a 32 ounce deli container.  Since most ants around here use formic acid, I use a small dust buster for suction.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 4 2015 - 7:41 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I use a homemade version made out of a 32 ounce deli container.  Since most ants around here use formic acid, I use a small dust buster for suction.

Do you have any pictures? 32oz sounds like a convenient size.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2015 - 1:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Here's the latest one I'm using. I made this out of one of the medium-sized containers that I use for collecting.

med_gallery_2_385_57627.jpg

gallery_2_385_646840.jpg

med_gallery_2_385_548917.jpg

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2015 - 1:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Of course, you could always go with this one for some extreme ant collecting.

2846-001-Backpack-Aspirator.jpg

• Gregory2455 and BugFinder like this

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 4 2015 - 1:37 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Mine is almost exactly like Drew's, but I have the silicone tubing leading to a handheld vacuum.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2015 - 1:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is the tube long enough to make it all the way out the kitchen window?

• Miles likes this

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 4 2015 - 4:45 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Of course, you could always go with this one for some extreme ant collecting.

Just make sure it's not on reverse!

Where did you get the screen? Have you tried it with larger containers?

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2015 - 5:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I get my mesh from Amazon or Ebay. I think the larger the container, the less affective it will be because of the volume of air.

• BugFinder likes this

#14 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 4 2015 - 6:15 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Have any of you used an aspirator bulb?  Are they effective for collecting ants, or do they not create enough suction?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users