• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pheidole xerophila Journal [107] (Updated 2-5-2024)

pheidole xerophila journal dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2014 - 6:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Test tube setups hold water in by way of pressure differences between the water chamber and the outside air pressure sealed off by the wet cotton ball. Air has to get in, raising the pressure inside the tube in order for water to get out. If air somehow gets in, the outside pressure can no longer hold the water in, and it leaks out until the pressure inside the tube drops below the pressure outside the tube once again, stopping the leak. I have never been able to figure out exactly what sometimes allows the air to continuously make its way in and allow the water to leak out, causing a flood.

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2014 - 4:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-17-2014

It turns out a few of these are not fertile, so I now am down to only four growing colonies. I took the best colony and put it in a foraging container with a liquid feeder.

#23 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 23 2014 - 5:07 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Do you have any pictures?

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 23 2014 - 5:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not yet. There really isn't anything spectacular to see.

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 2 2014 - 9:51 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-02-2014

All four of these queens slowly died off, until the last was found dead yesterday. I can't believe how hard this species has been to raise. Next year I'll probably collect a lot more than I did this year, and I might try some more natural setups for some of them as well.

#26 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 2 2014 - 12:20 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Maybe this species would do better starting off in Anhzor's agar tube setups.  :thinking: A lot of these queens seem to turn up as duds, and I do not think the one you had last year that died from a fungus was a coincidence- one of the ones you gave me also died from the same, so that seems to be only this species.

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 2 2014 - 12:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm planning to make a sort of antfarm-style founding formicarium, sort of like the jars I put a few of my P. californicus queens in, and I think I might try putting a few of these in in them. The two P. californicus colonies I have in those jars are doing 10 times better than any of the other colonies. I think these guys might need the same.

#28 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 2 2014 - 12:56 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Drew, maybe the packing that seals the end is too tight? If the barometric pressure changes and the tube can't equalize the water may be forced through the cotton.
Uh, temperature and stuff too. I'm thinking relative vacuum in the part where the ants are.. not sucking from outside.. sucks water instead.. words fail my concept.

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 2 2014 - 2:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not exactly sure what you're referring to, because very rarely is there a problem with flooding. Unless the cotton is wet, there is no way it could ever be packed tight enough to stop air from passing through.

#30 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 2 2014 - 2:53 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Ok. Just a brain fart. Made sense in my mind somehow. Scary place that.. 😀

#31 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 2 2014 - 5:28 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I've been having a lot of test tube floods lately...

#32 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 2 2014 - 9:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Drew, my last one just died too, the same reason most of these die. I do not think a test tube is a proper way to raise this species, and I think their self-hygiene is an issue, as they do not seem to want to clean themselves until fungus starts growing on them and kills them. :facepalm:

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 3 2014 - 5:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, it's really strange. Maybe I'll figure out how to keep them alive next season.

• michiganantsinmyyard likes this

#34 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2015 - 7:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 7-11-2015

While out in Goffs, California on 7-7-2015, a couple days after a good rain came through, I found one more of these queens. I'm sure I will find tons more later in the season. For now I just put this one in a test tube setup.

med_gallery_2_114_8746.jpg

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 15 2017 - 3:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-15-2017

These all eventually died. The last one died about three weeks ago.

#36 Offline Jackie - Posted February 5 2017 - 10:26 PM

Jackie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hope this year will succeed! :D  :)

#37 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2017 - 2:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-23-2017

Well, I found more of these this year. I actually saw them flying this time and grabbed tons of them off the ground. This happened in an area called Wild Crossing, California and happened in the evening on 7-9-2017. Hopefully they will do better this time around. I put most of them in test tubes, but do have a few of them in my newly designed founding formicariums. I have a few tubes with two or three queens together.

They are all doing great so far with big piles of eggs.

• sgheaton likes this

#38 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 9 2017 - 8:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 8-9-2017

This new bunch of queens just got their first workers a few days ago.

#39 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 1 2017 - 6:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-1-2017

Like every year, these haven't done very well. I had a couple colonies with majors last week, but they seem to be gone now. The largest colony has about 20 workers. It had a major last week, but that's gone now. Something killed off a lot of my ants. No idea what it was. All I know is it was probably something in the air because my termite colonies died too.

#40 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted October 1 2017 - 6:29 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood

persistence is key. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole xerophila, journal, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users