• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do non ant keepers think about ant keeping?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hightlyze - Posted September 21 2019 - 7:00 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Not sure exactly how i would get answers here since this is an ant keeping forum. maybe like your parent's opinion on it or friend's opinion idk. or random family/family friends to came over and saw your ant farms.

• ANTdrew and Manitobant like this

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#2 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 21 2019 - 7:22 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Most parents are probably:No, ants are pests, and refuse to change their mindset.

My friends kind of think its cool, but don't really care too much.

• Manitobant and Somethinghmm like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#3 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted September 21 2019 - 7:29 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Similar to what DDD101DDD said. Others that know about my hobby find it interesting, but are more neutral about it. I guess they were slightly surprised, but mostly a neutral attitude about it. My parents don't care too much as long as I don't make a mess or let them escape.
  • Somethinghmm likes this

#4 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted September 21 2019 - 8:52 PM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County

My situation is the exact same as the two posts above mine.

#5 Offline Wa.Va - Posted September 22 2019 - 1:18 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Some friends of mine always ask if I can show them the setups when they are around. My gf don't like that I can tell for hours about my setups dx she listens, but not for a long time.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 22 2019 - 9:15 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Most people think I won't get anywhere in life, friends think its interesting but get really bored if I bring it up, so no one to talk to, parents are okay with it but mom hates feeding insects as prey and dad sees them as pests. Relatives see it as a phase that'll pass, cousin finds it mildly interesting but likes coleoptera and lepidoptera primarily.

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 22 2019 - 9:17 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

And no one cares to know eveything, most apply they're own bias to it, father sees no point in feeding protein, thinks they can live off bread and honey.

Edited by ponerinecat, September 22 2019 - 9:17 AM.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 22 2019 - 9:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

It's a struggle. I don't bring it up to people unless they are close friends. Mostly they just find it funny/odd. One buddy of mine finds me queens from time to time. My wife tolerates it, but I've learned not really to talk about it. My brother loves ants, but not as much as I do. He had a colony a while, but he had to give up on them because of mites. I'm currently raising up a new Tetramorium colony for them. All of us are lucky to have this forum to share with people who get it, that's for sure.

Ponerinecat, have you thought about getting a Pogonomyrmex colony that could just live on seeds?

• Wa.Va, Somethinghmm and DDD101DDD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 22 2019 - 9:59 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have one, recieved from silq for free.

• ANTdrew likes this

#10 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 22 2019 - 9:59 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

It's a struggle. I don't bring it up to people unless they are close friends. Mostly they just find it funny/odd. One buddy of mine finds me queens from time to time. My wife tolerates it, but I've learned not really to talk about it. My brother loves ants, but not as much as I do. He had a colony a while, but he had to give up on them because of mites. I'm currently raising up a new Tetramorium colony for them. All of us are lucky to have this forum to share with people who get it, that's for sure.

Ponerinecat, have you thought about getting a Pogonomyrmex colony that could just live on seeds?

Or better yet, Veromessor. Those are even better at living off just seeds.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 22 2019 - 10:01 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have vero near me and got a queen but she died.

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 22 2019 - 11:02 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I made the mistake of telling lots of people at school that I keep ants. Most people just think its weird but some think its interesting. The real reason I regret telling everyone is that random people will come up to me and know me as "the guy who keeps ants" and ask me a million questions about it. This gets really annoying and makes me have to go down the long rabbithole about nuptial flights, how different types of queens start colonies etc.

Edited by Manitobant, September 22 2019 - 11:02 AM.

• AntsBC, Antennal_Scrobe and antwall like this

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 22 2019 - 1:48 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I made the mistake of telling lots of people at school that I keep ants. Most people just think its weird but some think its interesting. The real reason I regret telling everyone is that random people will come up to me and know me as "the guy who keeps ants" and ask me a million questions about it. This gets really annoying and makes me have to go down the long rabbithole about nuptial flights, how different types of queens start colonies etc.

people just say "Did you see that antscanada guy?" every week.

• Guy_Fieri likes this

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 23 2019 - 6:17 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
My parents are fine with it, as long as no colonies escape, amd and somewhat interested. Some of my friends at school are interested in ants, but not in keeping them. When I was camping in the Sierras, and the Lasius flight was going on, everyone must have though I was insane, as I was either looking up, or down. One person even asked if I was looking at bats in the air, as there is a large population there.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#15 Offline Major - Posted September 23 2019 - 1:48 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

My mother finds my ants fascinating, and particularly loves my Pheidole Bicarinata and Tetramorium Immigrans. She loves to watch them. Once while she was watching I added a mealworm and she immediately left with a look of disgust. She can't tolerate me feeding them so I've learned my limits. I only feed when she's not watching my ants. Othe than that she loves them. My 4 year old brother finds my ants fascinating as well. He has an extremely keen eye and found me a bunch of queens. My sister is fine with them (age 7) and looks at them time to time. My dad goes blacklighting with me and finds it fun. I'm extremely lucky to have an ant loving family. My Mom loved my mantids, and I would find her feeding or even handling them. My family except my brother hated my tarantulas, and I ended up hating them as well later on haha. 

My friends at first thought it was strange. After a year or so it became a bit of a joke among us of how I made more money selling ants in one summer than they all made off chores and actual work, over a course of a year. We occasionaly talk about it and some of them are a bit interested now. 

• MrPurpleB, Antennal_Scrobe and DDD101DDD like this

#16 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 23 2019 - 2:15 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My mother finds my ants fascinating, and particularly loves my Pheidole Bicarinata and Tetramorium Immigrans. She loves to watch them. Once while she was watching I added a mealworm and she immediately left with a look of disgust. She can't tolerate me feeding them so I've learned my limits. I only feed when she's not watching my ants. Othe than that she loves them. My 4 year old brother finds my ants fascinating as well. He has an extremely keen eye and found me a bunch of queens. My sister is fine with them (age 7) and looks at them time to time. My dad goes blacklighting with me and finds it fun. I'm extremely lucky to have an ant loving family. My Mom loved my mantids, and I would find her feeding or even handling them. My family except my brother hated my tarantulas, and I ended up hating them as well later on haha. 

My friends at first thought it was strange. After a year or so it became a bit of a joke among us of how I made more money selling ants in one summer than they all made off chores and actual work, over a course of a year. We occasionaly talk about it and some of them are a bit interested now. 

You have a nice family, very supporting community.

• Major likes this

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 23 2019 - 4:27 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

My friend and I got into ant keeping together, and we always share it with other friends, hoping to grow a small pocket of ant lovers.... over a couple years, the grand total of our efforts is....

1 PERSON!!!

The rest are nice and just tolerate it, but they most likely do think of it as strange....

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 23 2019 - 4:28 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

My parents are fine with it, as long as no colonies escape,

Mine are in the garage; I don't have to worry about that.  :)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#19 Offline Hightlyze - Posted September 23 2019 - 4:55 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
My mom doesn't understand how ants work. She keeps telling me to use the stuff I bought (materials for formicarium) She keeps complaining that I didn't use them yet. They haven't laid their eggs yet!

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#20 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted September 23 2019 - 5:24 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

My mom doesn't understand how ants work. She keeps telling me to use the stuff I bought (materials for formicarium) She keeps complaining that I didn't use them yet. They haven't laid their eggs yet!

She hasn't laid eggs yet? Oh this story just keeps getting better and better  :lol:

• Wa.Va likes this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users