• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants made nest in outworld

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted September 20 2019 - 11:41 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
You respond very fast for someone who’s at work most of the day. Guess it must be pretty boring!
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#22 Offline Monarch - Posted September 20 2019 - 12:23 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Life of a financial adviser :D

I'm literally on the computer all day.  I respond in between clients and meetings.

You respond very fast for someone who’s at work most of the day. Guess it must be pretty boring!

#23 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 20 2019 - 12:40 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Clay is exactly what you want. Tunnels won’t collapse and it retains water a long time.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline Monarch - Posted September 20 2019 - 1:16 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Gawd i love this Forum T_T  you guys are so much nicer than the other forum I'm on XD

• ANTdrew and Roy3 like this

#25 Offline Monarch - Posted September 20 2019 - 6:33 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

So while moving things aruond all the ants retreated to the nest thus allowing my to take a cup and remove the sand and mix it with some soil from outside.  I literally beat the dirt with a hammer and mixed in charcoal.  Literally beat it with a hammer.... mixed it in with the sand and dumped it in.  Found some pennywort growing in my backyard, ripped out and presto.  Going to the store tomorrow for some moss and some kind of fern and mealworms.

The white sandy area in the top left is where ants are nesting currently.

Any advice on what to add?

Invicta 1.1

Edited by Monarch, September 20 2019 - 6:36 PM.

#26 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2019 - 3:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would put a flat rock in there. That way when you hydrate, you can just sprinkle water over the top of the rock and not worry about flooding any ants. It creates a hydration gradient, too.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#27 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2019 - 3:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would put a lot deeper clay, too, so this can be like a “forever home.”

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 21 2019 - 10:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

like a rival ant colony

They'd probably kill the rival colony.....  :whistle:

• TylrsAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#29 Offline Monarch - Posted September 21 2019 - 10:19 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

deeper clay?

#30 Offline Monarch - Posted September 21 2019 - 10:46 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

I planned on putting a tube on the top right corner that leads to the bottom where i can pour water into to get the bottom hydrated.  

Any tips on plants to use?  I'm adding moss and maybe an asparagus fern.  I was going to add a aloe plant but thought it might get too big.

I would put a flat rock in there. That way when you hydrate, you can just sprinkle water over the top of the rock and not worry about flooding any ants. It creates a hydration gradient, too.

#31 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2019 - 12:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s a good idea for hydrating. My Tetras literally buried and killed all the plants I put. I just dug up some violets from my lawn though.

#32 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2019 - 12:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

deeper clay?

I meant adding a deeper layer of clay to give them more digging space. I can only imagine how much a big RIFA colony would dig.

#33 Offline Monarch - Posted September 23 2019 - 6:09 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

deeper clay?

I meant adding a deeper layer of clay to give them more digging space. I can only imagine how much a big RIFA colony would dig.

I'm hoping to limit their size by other means... assassin bugs, etc.  For some reason around my house, we get TONS of assassin bugs.  While I'm pulling weeds outside, i seem to come across many  "families"

#34 Offline Guy_Fieri - Posted September 23 2019 - 6:21 AM

Guy_Fieri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOrange County
If you really think assassin bugs have a chance against RIFA you should watch your colony react to food. That's how they will react to any assassin bugs near their nest.

#35 Offline Monarch - Posted September 23 2019 - 6:35 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

If you really think assassin bugs have a chance against RIFA you should watch your colony react to food. That's how they will react to any assassin bugs near their nest.

hmm maybe it was wishful thinking.

Edited by Monarch, September 23 2019 - 6:43 AM.

#36 Offline P0rcelain - Posted September 23 2019 - 3:32 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

if you are looking to limit size, i have seen a video on the antscanada youtube channel where he used a pool of water in the ants formicarium to kill off any of the less nimble ants and it worked wonders. the problem with this is that it could be quite potentially expensive, as the water will need to be cleaned somehow and a filter is by far the best way to do that, mixed with an effective bottom feeder or two. you could in theory take the water out yourself and clean the container for it, i think.

just something to think about.

• Monarch likes this

#37 Offline Monarch - Posted September 25 2019 - 10:18 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

if you are looking to limit size, i have seen a video on the antscanada youtube channel where he used a pool of water in the ants formicarium to kill off any of the less nimble ants and it worked wonders. the problem with this is that it could be quite potentially expensive, as the water will need to be cleaned somehow and a filter is by far the best way to do that, mixed with an effective bottom feeder or two. you could in theory take the water out yourself and clean the container for it, i think.

just something to think about.

that's an awesome suggestion. OORRRRRRRRR take the ants and feed them to my fish occasionally?  Also the vivarium is humid enough for carnivorous plants too....

#38 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 25 2019 - 12:06 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If I were you I would simply keep them in the outworld. Since invicta grow so fast, they will expand into the formicarium eventually.

Edited by Manitobant, September 25 2019 - 12:07 PM.

#39 Offline Monarch - Posted September 25 2019 - 12:08 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

If I were you I would simply keep them in the outworld. Since invicta grow so fast, they will expand into the formicarium eventually.

that's the plan :D  where i live, they are EXTREMELY invasive and practically some of the only ants available here.  

#40 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 25 2019 - 12:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, think of it like pruning the colony. Couldn’t they sting your fish though? I guess you could pre-kill them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users