• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strange looking worker?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Amazant - Posted September 18 2019 - 1:01 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
They are a Tetramorium and we’re raised from a single queen, they are a year old. If it is an inter caste queen/worker what is the purpose they serve in colonies?
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#22 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 18 2019 - 2:38 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

They are a Tetramorium and we’re raised from a single queen, they are a year old. If it is an inter caste queen/worker what is the purpose they serve in colonies?

I think they exist to mainly cause us to scratch our heads in puzzlement.

Edited by gcsnelling, September 18 2019 - 3:26 PM.

• dermy, Martialis, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#23 Offline Martialis - Posted September 18 2019 - 3:09 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
Temnothorax are even worse…
Spoiler

#24 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 18 2019 - 3:11 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I think of an intercaste like down syndrome. Our bodies sometimes make mistakes when copying DNA and/or when producing our sex cells. It is the same in ants, although I believe an intercaste is created when the developing larva is given the wrong pheromones when developing. Nothing is perfect  ;)

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#25 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 18 2019 - 4:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The wings don't look like buds, they are angular and irregularly serrated, so likely chewed off.

#26 Offline Amazant - Posted September 19 2019 - 12:38 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Yesterday when I looked in there formicarium I saw her wandering around under their two test tubes, then today she decided to go into the one that has no brood or workers, she moved in there with a worker that is taking care of her which I found interesting.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#27 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 19 2019 - 2:33 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yesterday when I looked in there formicarium I saw her wandering around under their two test tubes, then today she decided to go into the one that has no brood or workers, she moved in there with a worker that is taking care of her which I found interesting.

that's unusual, if its a deformed worker it shouldn't do that for too long.

#28 Offline Canadant - Posted September 20 2019 - 3:38 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
That's amazing!
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#29 Offline Amazant - Posted September 23 2019 - 2:53 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
So the weird half queen moved back into the nest and is doing well and some workers are always near her.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users