• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

First ant and L niger colony, advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mandelstam - Posted September 16 2019 - 10:01 AM

Mandelstam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Like many others I caught my first queens (Lasius niger) late this summer. One is doing quite good with around 10 workers. The other one is still sitting and brooding over her brood...

Anyway, I wanted to ask for some quick advice. The first queen with workers is currently in a pill bottle as that was the only thing I had available when I noticed the nuptial flight. By the time I got some test tubes she had already laid eggs and so I didn't want to disturb ber anymore. But since a few days I've placed the pill bottle next to a covered and prepped test tube for easier observation and with a fresh water source. 

They refuse to move though. The pill bottle is under a bright led spotlight and all that's left of the water is the moist cotton. The opening of the covered test tube is close by and I even put a small bridge out of a thin hemp rope between the two. Today I noticed that the workers had started "digging" tunnels in the cotton to escape the light I'm guessing. They also accepted a dwarf white isopod. They have a few times went up to the opening of the bottle but never further than that. 

I know I shouldn't force anything and I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that they will move when they want to and need to. Right?! 

/Anxious ant noob

#2 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 16 2019 - 10:52 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I find a lot of young colonies often are very reluctant movers. If there's no concern about the pill bottle other than the added time for maintenance for adding water to the existing cotton I would suggest to let them be. 

What I've found with being too forceful with moving them is that more times than not they are too stubborn to know what's good for them and you end up cooking out or drying the ants. If by any means you NEED to force them out of the pill bottle, dump the queen and workers into the test tube and manually extract the brood very carefully and very gently with a toothpick. VERY GENTLY. I would only suggest this as a last resort desperation tactic.

• Mandelstam likes this

#3 Offline Mandelstam - Posted September 16 2019 - 11:19 AM

Mandelstam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I find a lot of young colonies often are very reluctant movers. If there's no concern about the pill bottle other than the added time for maintenance for adding water to the existing cotton I would suggest to let them be. 

What I've found with being too forceful with moving them is that more times than not they are too stubborn to know what's good for them and you end up cooking out or drying the ants. If by any means you NEED to force them out of the pill bottle, dump the queen and workers into the test tube and manually extract the brood very carefully and very gently with a toothpick. VERY GENTLY. I would only suggest this as a last resort desperation tactic.

Thank you! I'll let them be and let them sort it out. I'll leave the covered test tube in their outworld where I placed the pill bottle too. They seem to be doing fine and have started eating and that's what's most important to me right now. 

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 16 2019 - 12:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

You SHOULD consider moving them when mold and/or bacteria almost or completely carpet the surface of the cotton, or whatever you're using to retain moisture.

• Mandelstam likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 17 2019 - 1:57 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I bet they would jump at the chance to move into a soil nest. That’s one approach you could consider, but it may not be the best for observing your first colony.
In general, though, I agree with just leaving them put and trusting their judgement. I have a big Crematogaster colony that has lived in the same dried up test tube since I founded the colony. They won’t move for all the tea in China.

Edited by ANTdrew, September 17 2019 - 2:00 PM.

• Wa.Va likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Wa.Va - Posted September 21 2019 - 1:18 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I bet they would jump at the chance to move into a soil nest. That’s one approach you could consider, but it may not be the best for observing your first colony.
In general, though, I agree with just leaving them put and trusting their judgement. I have a big Crematogaster colony that has lived in the same dried up test tube since I founded the colony. They won’t move for all the tea in China.

Lasius niger doesn't like a dry nest. Crematogaster can survive with no water for a long period. Big difference I think. Yet small lasius niger colonies will be stubborn to move anyways. U can attach a second test tube. But as long as the colony does not move, they are fine..
  • ANTdrew and Mandelstam like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2019 - 4:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Facts
  • Wa.Va likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Wa.Va - Posted September 21 2019 - 5:23 AM

Wa.Va

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'm just scared that u will stress out the colony using a light to let them move. Because now it's close to hibernation time. So the ants are going to search naturally a deeper moist soil.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users