• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Good formicariums for pogonomyrmex?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 10 2019 - 12:36 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
My pogonomyrmex queen is going to get workers soon and I'm currently wondering about what would be a good formicarium as apparently test tubes arent the best when they get workers. I've seen people keep them in vertical stuff though this does worry me as they arent very good climbers. I was thinking of getting a tar heel ants mini labyrinth or an antscanada ant tower tho I'm really not sure. Any suggestions?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 10 2019 - 4:15 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
Thanks!

Edited by Manitobant, September 10 2019 - 4:15 PM.

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 10 2019 - 4:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Perhaps a dirt (or probably sand, in this case) formicarium would be best, so they can make the nest to their liking. Just remember these are dry loving ants, though, so I would probably keep the water levels slightly lower than other ants if I were you. Although I myself have never kept these, so if some very odd reason they do just absolutely terrible in a sand setup, please don't blame me....  :lol:  :)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 10 2019 - 4:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I know I'm gonna pull a hightlyze, but is anyone on or willing to help?

I was literally typing my response when you posted this. :D

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 10 2019 - 4:50 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I know I'm gonna pull a hightlyze, but is anyone on or willing to help?

I was literally typing my response when you posted this. :D
lol I didn't know:)

#6 Offline Hightlyze - Posted September 10 2019 - 5:59 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
A good formicarium for them is you

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#7 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 10 2019 - 6:10 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

A good formicarium for them is you

A good time for you to leave this forum is now.  (y)

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#8 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted September 10 2019 - 6:34 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I had my Pogonomyrmex colony in atom nest and they enjoyed. I understand the atom nest are for founding colonies. Probably not what you are looking for. Like what Dakota said dirt or some "rocky" sand will probably work great.

I think I saw someone with some Dirt formicariums good for Pogonomyrmex. I think it was Drew, but I can't recall well.

Tar heel ant's labyrinth looks amazing. It provides a nice size for the colony to grow. Antstower also has the possibility to look nice with a natural feel. Dirt or another digging medium can be appealing to the colony. They are both good options I'd say.
The antstower can make it easier for cleaning when you get rid of your Pogonomyrmex colony I suppose.

I would also have a hard time choosing, but the tar heel asethetics just win me over.

I didn't really provide much informative help, just my thoughts. So here are some thoughts. I guess the antstower would allow colony to build Chambers as they grow, which can reduce the chance of the ants just having a giant trash bin, but with workers I wouldn't see this as a big issue. I feel there might be a gamble on the antstower with the asethetics of the chambers, since the colony won't really focus on design. Tar heel ants already have a nice set design. I feel like that antstower allows for more creative design, but the tar heels provide a very appealing set design. If you feel being creative the antstower might be a good fit.

I hope your purchase goes well.

P.S Pogonomyrmex being terrible climbers is something that helps me sleep at night.

Edited by MrPurpleB, September 10 2019 - 6:35 PM.

• Roy3 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users