• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for Queen Ant (Western Pennsylvania)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dakotasmoke - Posted September 10 2019 - 10:12 AM

dakotasmoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

My son (8 years old) and I are wanting to start an ant colony.  We've watched a good bit of YouTube videos online and have purchased a formicarium (This one in particular: ). 

We attempted to find a queen this Spring/Summer with unfortunately no success, so we're looking to buy one!  I'm not sure which type of ant would be the best for our first queen, but Tetramorium Immigrans was looking promising (other kinds are an option as well, but trying to avoid ones that require more experience than we currently have).

We live in western PA. If anyone is willing to sell a fertile queen in Pennsylvania, we have interest. Also willing to pay for shipping and such.

Thanks!

Edited by dakotasmoke, September 10 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#2 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted September 10 2019 - 10:38 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
Welcome to the world of ant keeping! If you don’t find any sellers on here you could tried on GAN over at the Ants Canada website. Tetramorium Immigran is fairly common species so I am almost certain you will be able to find a seller. They are super beginner friendly and are personally one of my favorites.

Just try to avoid Camponotus right now as many people are having trouble raising them. Tetramorium Immigran are on the faster growing side and are super fun to raise so I am sure you and your son will enjoy them. Best of luck to you!

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, September 10 2019 - 10:41 AM.

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 10 2019 - 10:43 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I would personally start with Camponotus (carpenter ants) as they don't grow out of hand until year 3, and their large size (depends on species).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users