• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Too much food storage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Golgo13 - Posted September 9 2019 - 5:36 PM

Golgo13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Is there a way to keep ants from bringing food into the nest? My Franco’s take all bugs straight to the brood and I worry about mold.

#2 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted September 9 2019 - 5:54 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

I would think that once they have taken what they need they would bring the remains back up into a "trash pile?" I wouldn't think they would keep insects not currently being consumed in the nest but I may be wrong. You could also try liquid protein such as the protein mix that Tar Heel Ants sells or Protein Jelly. You could also try raw egg yolks but I would think that it would go bad very quickly so don't take my word on it.

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 9 2019 - 6:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Francos? What species is this? I know what you mean, my nylanderia don't take out the trash. I would recommend placing the food as far away from the nest as possible, so that it is harder for them to gwt it into the nest. You could also feed large enough food items that they can't drag.

Edited by NickAnter, September 9 2019 - 6:07 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline Canadant - Posted September 10 2019 - 11:38 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
As my colony grew they took out their obscene amount of trash. A good sight to see. Hopefully as your colony grows and space needed, they'll take out the trash.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#5 Offline Boog - Posted September 10 2019 - 9:09 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I read that some antkeepers would hold their food with a small rubber band holding the bulk of the food around a feeder dish, another one is they'd pin or skewer the food down in place.

My colony would bring some food into the nest, but they have to travel for about a foot in an upwards slope into the nest and now they've stopped because they're a little larger. They now just keep some of their food in the tube leading up to the nest, but they're dried out and not molding. I'll be cleaning out their vinyl tubes after I put them away for winter.

Edited by Boog, September 10 2019 - 9:09 PM.

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users