• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mite control

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mike.omeg - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:20 PM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Dalles, OR, USA

What is the best way to control mites in an well established C.diversa colony. They are living in a soil/sand terrarium.   The mites are attached to the ants' abdomen and heads. Dozens of mites per worker. They are only a fraction of a mm in length. Legs located on front of a tear shaped body. Redish brown in color. I can't get a good pic through my microscope but this is Alex Wild pic looks like them https://goo.gl/images/TJieK7. Any advice is much appreciated. And please no "you are just screwed" comments. Thank you.

Edited by mike.omeg, September 27 2017 - 5:37 PM.

#2 Offline Ant Broski - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:22 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA

What is the best way to control mites in an well established C.diversa colony. The mites are attached to the ants' abdomen and heads. Dozens of mites per worker. They are only a fraction of a mm in length. Legs located on front of a tear shaped body. Redish brown in color. I can't get a good pic through my microscope but this is Alex Wild pic looks like them https://goo.gl/images/TJieK7. Any advice is much appreciated. And please no "you are just screwed" comments. Thank you.

You can try to move them into a naturalistic terrarium. It might help with the mites. You can also try lemons.
  • mike.omeg likes this

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:26 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

That doesn't sound like a species from Washington.

• Martialis, Nathant2131, Ant Broski and 3 others like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline mike.omeg - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:38 PM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

You can try to move them into a naturalistic terrarium. It might help with the mites. You can also try lemons.

Thank you for the advice.  They are in a soil/sand blend terrarium.  I will edit my question to reflect this.  I watched Ants Canada vid on lemons and they seemed ineffective.  But worth a shot perhaps! Thank you.

Edited by mike.omeg, September 27 2017 - 5:40 PM.

#5 Offline mike.omeg - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:41 PM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

That doesn't sound like a species from Washington.

Now I understand your point.  Thank you for making it.

Edited by mike.omeg, September 27 2017 - 5:56 PM.

• Ant Broski likes this

#6 Offline matt123 - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:46 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

I do not claim to be an expert but Mikey Bustos at AntsCanada claims success with lemon in a video or two.

That is the only source of information I have so I would take it with a grain of salt.

#7 Offline mike.omeg - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:50 PM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I do not claim to be an expert but Mikey Bustos at AntsCanada claims success with lemon in a video or two.

That is the only source of information I have so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks Matt I will check it out.

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:50 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

If those are truly C. diversa, and you imported them, that broke the law.

Spoiler

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Replication is fundamental to determining whether a particular parasite treatment will be effective. To the best of my knowledge, no one has devised a working, repeatable treatment for ants hosting mites. Mites are a very diverse group of organisms, with an immeasurably complex relationship with ants, many of which are non-harmful in natural conditions.

As an aside, if the species with which you are seeking help is indeed Carebara diversa, and you are located in the Americas, then you are, however unintentionally, validating the worst fears of many in the antkeeping community who endlessly elucidate on the perils of imported ants, and the parasite organisms they may carry, which could theoretically destroy entire ecosystems and economies.
  • Martialis likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline mike.omeg - Posted September 27 2017 - 5:55 PM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Replication is fundamental to determining whether a particular parasite treatment will be effective. To the best of my knowledge, no one has devised a working, repeatable treatment for ants hosting mites. Mites are a very diverse group of organisms, with an immeasurably complex relationship with ants, many of which are non-harmful in natural conditions.

As an aside, if the species with which you are seeking help is indeed Carebara diversa, and you are located in the Americas, then you are, however unintentionally, validating the worst fears of many in the antkeeping community who endlessly elucidate on the perils of imported ants, and the parasite organisms they may carry, which could theoretically destroy entire ecosystems and economies.

Thank you for the information.  On mites and legalities.  I am ignorant of them both as I am new to ant keeping.  I appreciate your insights and, perhaps most importantly, the manner you delivered them.  I have no desire to knowingly violate rules or destroy worlds.

#11 Offline Leo - Posted September 27 2017 - 6:08 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I want em, gimme! :P

#12 Offline Ant Broski - Posted September 28 2017 - 3:53 PM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA

Thank you for the advice.  They are in a soil/sand blend terrarium.  I will edit my question to reflect this.  I watched Ants Canada vid on lemons and they seemed ineffective.  But worth a shot perhaps! Thank you.
No Problem :)

#13 Offline Serafine - Posted September 29 2017 - 2:27 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I have no desire to knowingly violate rules or destroy worlds.

Yeah, better get Pheidole megacephala. They're on the list of unregulated organisms because they're totally not invasive or a threat to local ecosystems... :rolleyes:

You could also just build a wall around your formicarium, that'll surely fix all your ant immigration problems. I've heard they're available in see-through now.

• Martialis and smares like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#14 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 29 2017 - 9:05 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I have no desire to knowingly violate rules or destroy worlds.

Yeah, better get Pheidole megacephala. They're on the list of unregulated organisms because they're totally not invasive or a threat to local ecosystems... :rolleyes:

You could also just build a wall around your formicarium, that'll surely fix all your ant immigration problems. I've heard they're available in see-through now.

I mean, they literally aren't anymore... "To be considered for re-categorization, the pest must be already established and unlikely to cause additional harm to the U.S. agriculture, the environment or the economy."

Unfortunately, I haven't received a response back from the USDA yet, so the legality of whether it's okay or not is still questionable.

#15 Offline Yossarian - Posted January 13 2018 - 4:12 PM

Yossarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Does anyone have experience with "dusting" fruit flies for their ants?  Is the dusting safe for them?  Frog hobbyists tend to use calcium or diatomaceous earth prior to culture creation and also before feeding their frogs.  I am considering dusting as a step prior to feeding.  My concern is that it may be more harmful to the colony than the risk of mites.

Edited by Yossarian, January 13 2018 - 4:13 PM.

#16 Offline Karma - Posted January 15 2018 - 7:47 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCanada

Does anyone have experience with "dusting" fruit flies for their ants?  Is the dusting safe for them?  Frog hobbyists tend to use calcium or diatomaceous earth prior to culture creation and also before feeding their frogs.  I am considering dusting as a step prior to feeding.  My concern is that it may be more harmful to the colony than the risk of mites.

I have never personally heard of someone "dusting" the food for ants so I'm not quite sure how that would affect them however the most common techniques in sterilizing ant foods is often dipping the insect in boiling water for a few seconds which kills any bacteria or parisites in it. Another effective method is simply placing the food in a freezer and letting it sit over night, it will freeze and any bacteria/parisites will die. This way also allows it to stay fresh for much longer and whenever you need to feed you can just take it out. Many people use this method with meal worms and just freeze a bunch of them and then use them when need be.

Edited by Karma, January 15 2018 - 7:49 PM.

#17 Offline T.C. - Posted January 16 2018 - 9:16 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I have never personally heard of someone "dusting" the food for ants so I'm not quite sure how that would affect them however the most common techniques in sterilizing ant foods is often dipping the insect in boiling water for a few seconds which kills any bacteria or parisites in it. Another effective method is simply placing the food in a freezer and letting it sit over night, it will freeze and any bacteria/parisites will die. This way also allows it to stay fresh for much longer and whenever you need to feed you can just take it out. Many people use this method with meal worms and just freeze a bunch of them and then use them when need be.

This. ^^^ I boil everything prior to feeding it to my ants.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users