• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Glass Aquariums for Serious Formicariums

formicarium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FormiCanada - Posted September 4 2019 - 10:04 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello everyone! 

I've been in the hobby of keeping ants and building formicariums for just over 20 years, started at keeping ants since 5ish, and making formicariums at about 10 years old. I'm now 30 and I've begun to construct what I believe is the most naturalistic and successful formicariums out there in today's market. They're bioactive-capable, handmade, and quite beautiful. The material is a self-brand called "Formicon" which is a mixture of various natural ingredients including flour, agar, molasses, powdered clay, powdered natural pumice, powdered volcanic rock, and other natural ingredients. When properly synthesized, it bonds to the strength of rock and yet is as absorbent as a sponge. This allows for a basic micro-environment where humidity and temperature are stabilized. The formicarium tunnels and chambers are coated with a rich layer of ant-active biosoil, which is a specific substrate impregnated with various cleaner organisms including beneficial mites, nematodes, small worms, springtails and other microbes. When the biosoil is watered, everything hatches and breaks down any mold or refuse that the ants may discard within the nest. I use it in all of my formicariums and it works great. The aquariums that I source are 1, 1.5 and 2.3 gallon betta aquariums with a sealing glass lid. The glass is also non-tempered and 1/2 inch connection holes can be made. Anyways, attached are some photos in the link as they cannot be uploaded to the forum (not sure why)! 

https://www.facebook...573503766042118

All feedback is appreciated!  :) 

F🐜❤️🇨🇦

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline ForestDragon - Posted September 4 2019 - 11:36 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

WOW these look beautiful but the thing that stands out to me the most is it looks TOO artificial like a cartoon than something like tha it is missing that "rugged" vibe that quite a few people like and the biosoil is GENIOUS a lot of formicariums like this have a problem with mold (mine included i need springtails) and the biosoil with the cleaner insectts in it is an awesome Idea and i think it plays out well in these things, 

#3 Offline FormiCanada - Posted September 4 2019 - 1:16 PM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

WOW these look beautiful but the thing that stands out to me the most is it looks TOO artificial like a cartoon than something like tha it is missing that "rugged" vibe that quite a few people like and the biosoil is GENIOUS a lot of formicariums like this have a problem with mold (mine included i need springtails) and the biosoil with the cleaner insectts in it is an awesome Idea and i think it plays out well in these things, 

Thanks! (y)  Much appreciated! So the goal of these are to make it as realistic as possible. The decor around is just for show, it's the actual formicarium piece which I'm going for the au-naturale look. The cartoonistic look you may be referring to is due to the non-toxic resin gloss that covers the entire formicarium to keep it in prime condition. In person, it's very similar to a rock face and a log (I tried my best). Without the gloss, the formicarium does undergo the natural wear and tear like anything subjected to natural environmental factors. It also may just be the camera and the lighting, my DSLR will take some proper photos when it returns from China (lent it to a friend). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users