• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Huge Formic ant nest sighting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline 3peeo - Posted September 4 2019 - 9:24 AM

3peeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I was walking in a wooded area near St Clair Michigan when I found an ant trail and followed it to a massive Formic Acid Ant hill. It was surrounded by a sixty-foot in diameter zone of saturation by nest members.  The nest itself was over six foot tall and 12 feet in Diameter.  The ants immediately noticed my arrival and made so much noise you could hear and smell them 20 yards away. Is this an abnormal nest size.

I made a hasty retreat as over a hundred of them had found my pant legs in seconds.  I must have made a sight getting them off me before they could do much biting. 

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted September 4 2019 - 9:27 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Sounds like Formica exsectoides. Must've been quite the nest! I've never seen the nests in person or even the species, but that does sound like a very large nest, that's for sure.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users