• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Illegal trade report

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#21 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted September 4 2019 - 1:11 PM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDenver Area, Colorado

Wait... so Soul can publicly post evidence of someone's attempt to allegedly acquire ants for the U.S while I can't? Last time I publicly posted evidence of New Yorker trying to buy Pogonomyrmex from California I was told I couldn't and the photo was promptly deleted. Can I have some clarification?

Did you report the guy? Or did you tell him to just not buy cause its illegal? I think there could be many ways of publicly posting evidence of people being illegal. If you have real evidence i would report them. This entire thread is straight useless cause the guy can't get in trouble. I'm pretty new to antkeeping but if I really do encounter a illegal trader ill just report them, not post on a forum i guess (unless if i don't know if its 100% illegal)

• mbullock42086 likes this

irl catboy

#22 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 4 2019 - 1:21 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

bait these guys into flying to your state and purchasing them from you there XD  that way it's legal and they take 100% of the risk :D

before the hobby was saturated with megasoma sleeperi, i had a dude from japan willing to buy a round trip and pick them up from me, but i couldn't locate a female.

#23 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted September 4 2019 - 1:27 PM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

bait these guys into flying to your state and purchasing them from you there XD  that way it's legal and they take 100% of the risk :D

before the hobby was saturated with megasoma sleeperi, i had a dude from japan willing to buy a round trip and pick them up from me, but i couldn't locate a female.

round trip?  :o

irl catboy

#24 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 4 2019 - 1:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If gun shops can't be held liable for what someone does with a gun after purchasing it legally, neither can ant sellers be held responsible for "crimes" committed by legal purchasers who then ship or transport ants across state lines in violation of Federal rules.

• Barristan, mbullock42086 and TennesseeAnts like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#25 Offline TheAntingBunny - Posted September 4 2019 - 1:58 PM

TheAntingBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Wait... so Soul can publicly post evidence of someone's attempt to allegedly acquire ants for the U.S while I can't? Last time I publicly posted evidence of New Yorker trying to buy Pogonomyrmex from California I was told I couldn't and the photo was promptly deleted. Can I have some clarification?

Did you report the guy? Or did you tell him to just not buy cause its illegal? I think there could be many ways of publicly posting evidence of people being illegal. If you have real evidence i would report them. This entire thread is straight useless cause the guy can't get in trouble. I'm pretty new to antkeeping but if I really do encounter a illegal trader ill just report them, not post on a forum i guess (unless if i don't know if its 100% illegal)

Basically some guy came onto my Dubia Roach thread and started some drama so I exposed his attempt at trying to buy Pogonomyrmex from my friend. I'm not saying what he did was illegal, but it is a similar screen shot to what Soul posted, and I am wondering why mine got taken down and Soul's didn't. My question to the moderators are: Why hasn't the screenshot been taken down yet?

#26 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted September 4 2019 - 2:01 PM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Basically some guy came onto my Dubia Roach thread and started some drama so I exposed his attempt at trying to buy Pogonomyrmex from my friend. I'm not saying what he did was illegal, but it is a similar screen shot to what Soul posted, and I am wondering why mine got taken down and Soul's didn't. My question to the moderators are: Why hasn't the screenshot been taken down yet?

we just have to wait and see if the mods do take it down....;)

irl catboy

#27 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 4 2019 - 2:03 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

If gun shops can't be held liable for what someone does with a gun after purchasing it legally, neither can ant sellers be held responsible for "crimes" committed by legal purchasers who then ship or transport ants across state lines in violation of Federal rules.

yeah that was before a couple of dudes oversaturated the hobby and the value plummeted.  now they're sold for cheap.  i was misled inot believing they only occur around imperial county but they're apparently all over the mojave amongst joshua trees and yuccas. prior to that people in japan were buying them for like 500-800 per DRY pair.

i really wish they would lighten up on ants.  i hate these restrictions

Edited by mbullock42086, September 4 2019 - 2:04 PM.

#28 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 4 2019 - 3:22 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

yeah that was before a couple of dudes oversaturated the hobby and the value plummeted.  now they're sold for cheap.  i was misled inot believing they only occur around imperial county but they're apparently all over the mojave amongst joshua trees and yuccas. prior to that people in japan were buying them for like 500-800 per DRY pair.

I have not heard that they are all over the Mojave, as far as I know they are still only known to be associated from dune habitats with Palo Verde which is generally Imperial and extreme eastern San Diego county.

#29 Offline Acutus - Posted September 4 2019 - 7:26 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

This post makes it sound like Gun Shops and guns are an exception to some higher rule! the same rules apply to everything! A liquor store can't be held accountable for acts committed by somone it legally sold liquor to. A car manufacturer can't be held liable for crimes committed in or with cars legally sold. you can't be held liable if I drown someone in Sunburst I legally buy from you!

Sorry to go off topic but the post just made no sense to me.

Edited by Acutus, September 4 2019 - 7:31 PM.

• Martialis, Serafine and TennesseeAnts like this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#30 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 5 2019 - 1:28 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

a guy that sets up light traps around the yucca valley/ barstow area told me he catches large numbers of them, i think he's where bugs in cyberspace may be getting their sleeperi larvae from.  i believe he's in the sw us arthropods group on Facebook

had to reply wouldn't let me continue quoting.

i believe him because they're also found around box canyon road in riverside co.

#31 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 5 2019 - 2:09 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

a guy that sets up light traps around the yucca valley/ barstow area told me he catches large numbers of them, i think he's where bugs in cyberspace may be getting their sleeperi larvae from.  i believe he's in the sw us arthropods group on Facebook

had to reply wouldn't let me continue quoting.

i believe him because they're also found around box canyon road in riverside co.

Interesting

#32 Offline Martialis - Posted September 5 2019 - 4:07 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
This is the calmest “drama” thread on Formicilture I’ve ever seen.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
Spoiler

#33 Offline Serafine - Posted September 5 2019 - 6:08 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wait... so Soul can publicly post evidence of someone's attempt to allegedly acquire ants from the U.S while I can't? Last time I publicly posted evidence of New Yorker trying to buy Pogonomyrmex from California I was told I couldn't and the photo was promptly deleted. Can I have some clarification?

Because apparently a long time ago FC chose to ignore illegal sales and pretend they're not happening here - them never banning Joseph Kim should tell you something.

At some point though they will have to realize that "free speech" isn't a valid argument for covering criminal sellers, especially if those could massively harm or potentially even end the hobby.

They might do, at least Pogonomyrmex occidentalis can now be traded freely. Camponotus pennsylvanicus and Tapinoma sessile are hot next candidates.
There is however also a chance that the USDA might decide to squash antkeeping entirely if for example someone releases some illegally obtained plant-damaging ants (or ants carrying plant-damaging mites or ants tending to aphids in a plant-damaging way) and they end up finding their way into some McDonalds wheat farm. At some point someone is going to be crucified as an example. I cannot imagine them being very happy should they ever read this topic either.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#34 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 5 2019 - 8:29 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Because apparently a long time ago FC chose to ignore illegal sales and pretend they're not happening here - them never banning Joseph Kim should tell you something.

When someone is found to have violated one of our rules, they receive a warning point, which stays on the member's permanent record.  The penalty for violating the rules increases with each warning received.  If a member receives multiple warnings, then the member is banned.  The member you mention in all your posts was never banned because they appear to have voluntarily stopped using the forum after receiving one or more warnings, but before receiving enough warnings to warrant a ban.  Is this so hard to understand?

Claiming Formiculture "ignore[s] illegal sales" is itself ignorant of how our rules are enforced.  And speculating that the "end [of] the hobby" might come from this community's perceived failure to adequately prosecute "illegal" actors is simply a ridiculous assertion.

This forum has a very clear and strict rule regarding offers to buy or sell ants in violation of local laws, which I wrote:

8. Members must accurately represent their location in their Member Profile to participate in offers to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise distribute living ants of any caste or life stage. For members located in the United States, offers of live ants are only permitted between members who reside in the same U.S. state. Cross-border offers are not permitted between any members (participating members must reside in the same country or trading zone).

“Offer” is defined as any advertisement, thread, post, chat message, private message, or other transmission that occurs on Formiculture.com, including links to third-party sites or messaging systems where offers may potentially occur, with the intent of buying, selling, trading, or otherwise distributing ants from one place to another.

Out of nearly 125,000 posts, can you find even one example where someone publicly offered to buy or sell ants illegally, where the post wasn't removed for violating the rules, and the member(s) warned?  As far as private messages are concerned, this forum does warn members who transmit "illegal" offers via private messaging when we are made aware of it, as was the case in this thread.  What else would you have us do—read everyone's private messages in order to enforce laws? 

Formiculture is an ant keeping community, not a division of law enforcement.  That said, if the forum were to receive a warrant, signed by a judge, to turn over messages or records as part of a criminal investigation, it would have to comply.  Consequently, it's no safer to transmit private messages here than to use private email.  Are you mad that Gmail doesn't automatically scan messages for illegal offers to buy and sell ants, too?  And Facebook—don't even get me started on how much "illegal" ant smuggling activity occurs on Facebook, every damn day!

The disagreement you seem to have with how this forum deals with illegal traders is that you think that banning someone's account is going to solve some problem to a greater extent than simply disallowing offers which promote illegal activity, which this forum already strictly enforces.  If someone breaks the rules enough times, they do get banned.  But normally once someone is warned, they stop the behavior and go somewhere else.  What is banning them going to solve if they've already left Formiculture for greener pastures?

Edited by drtrmiller, September 5 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• dermy, Barristan, Mdrogun and 2 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#35 Offline TheAntingBunny - Posted September 5 2019 - 12:40 PM

TheAntingBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Wait... so Soul can publicly post evidence of someone's attempt to allegedly acquire ants from the U.S while I can't? Last time I publicly posted evidence of New Yorker trying to buy Pogonomyrmex from California I was told I couldn't and the photo was promptly deleted. Can I have some clarification?

At some point though they will have to realize that "free speech" isn't a valid argument for covering criminal sellers, especially if those could massively harm or potentially even end the hobby.

i really wish they would lighten up on ants. i hate these restrictions

They might do, at least Pogonomyrmex occidentalis can now be traded freely. Camponotus pennsylvanicus and Tapinoma sessile are hot next candidates.
There is however also a chance that the USDA might decide to squash antkeeping entirely if for example someone releases some illegally obtained plant-damaging ants (or ants carrying plant-damaging mites or ants tending to aphids in a plant-damaging way) and they end up finding their way into some McDonalds wheat farm. At some point someone is going to be crucified as an example. I cannot imagine them being very happy should they ever read this topic either.
Serafine, this happened like less than a month ago. Can a moderator please clarify? Until then, I assume Soul’s post hasn’t been taken down because the mods are friends with him and are biased.

Edited by TheAntingBunny, September 5 2019 - 12:42 PM.

#36 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 5 2019 - 12:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Serafine, this happened like less than a month ago. Can a moderator please clarify? Until then, I assume Soul’s post hasn’t been taken down because the mods are friends with him and are biased.
. Umm, this is not the case...

#37 Offline dermy - Posted September 5 2019 - 12:45 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

A Moderator did not deal with this, Dspdrew himself did, I didn't even know of this occurrence because I wasn't around. But from the thread I was able to read, it seemed like a lot of bashing etc. was going on in that thread.

Also to clarify, we don't pick favorites, the reason this thread is alive and not locked isn't because of bias, it is because of discussion. I can't speak for why drew decided to deal with that thread the way he did, but I can say from what I read from said thread that it wasn't just 1 post that was getting out of hand, felt like a lot of the posts were derailing the thread pretty badly.

Edited by dermy, September 5 2019 - 12:47 PM.

• Martialis and TennesseeAnts like this

#38 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted September 5 2019 - 2:12 PM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

A Moderator did not deal with this, Dspdrew himself did, I didn't even know of this occurrence because I wasn't around. But from the thread I was able to read, it seemed like a lot of bashing etc. was going on in that thread.

Also to clarify, we don't pick favorites, the reason this thread is alive and not locked isn't because of bias, it is because of discussion. I can't speak for why drew decided to deal with that thread the way he did, but I can say from what I read from said thread that it wasn't just 1 post that was getting out of hand, felt like a lot of the posts were derailing the thread pretty badly.

I'm not gonna lie the discussion is really toxic to be honest

irl catboy

#39 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted September 5 2019 - 4:07 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

you'd be surprised how many big name dealers break federal law routinely, too.  

#40 Offline TheAntingBunny - Posted September 5 2019 - 7:29 PM

TheAntingBunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Okay thanks for clarifying. I shouldn't have made any assumptions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users