• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How do myrmecologists safely excavate colonies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 29 2019 - 4:26 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I myself am an aspiring myrmecologist who is currently researching slave makers. I've been wanting to start a scientific experiment with polyergus on what formica species I can provide to a colony, not to mention keep them for scientific observations. In order to do this, I've decided to try excavating a colony of these as they have a large population where I live although the lone queens are rare, not to mention, hard to found in captivity. I have tried one dig so far with no sucess in locating the queen (don't worry, the colony was fine and rebuilt their nest) but for the next time I want to come prepared, and I have been reading about how professional myrmecologists sometimes dig mature ant colonies for census work and laboratory studies, and because of this, I was curious about how they do it safely without harming the queen and capturing most of the ants, and also what techniques and equipment they use.

Edited by Manitobant, August 29 2019 - 4:27 PM.

#2 Offline AntLad - Posted August 29 2019 - 4:40 PM

AntLad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I cannot answer this as I personally wouldn't dare even attempt but here is a documentary that shows a team excavating a massive leaf cutter colony. Skip to 11:48 if you want to get straight to the section of the documentary where they are heading to dig, but I'd recommend the whole documentary as it is truly a masterpiece.  https://www.youtube....h?v=8n0SkIGARuo

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 29 2019 - 5:44 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

This video is an interesting one. 

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users