• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wander's Camponotus castaneus colony

florida camponotus castaneus camponotus castaneus wander

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WanderAnts - Posted August 26 2019 - 6:37 AM

WanderAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHialeah, Flroida

I received this queen from fellow Floridian 123LordOfAnts123 in late April, to whom I'm grateful since this species' range ends about a 2-3 hour drive north of me in South Florida.

July 13th - Although I received this queen with a sizable larva in April it seems that her brood was developing rather slowly and it took almost a month for her first pupa to appear. She also appears to have a few more larvae and possibly eggs so I'm hoping she has quite a few workers in her first generation.

August 17th - One month later and she finally eclosed her first worker, I made sure to give them some sunburst ant nectar. The worker found it and quickly began drinking the nectar that she shared with the queen, and went back and fourth between the nectar and queen until she was full.

August 19th - I'm pretty content now that this queen and her worker are picking up the pace a little, they have eclosed two more workers in the last couple of days and seem to have another two or three pupae to go. I'm also planning on moving them into an empty mini hearth I have to minimize the difficulty in test tube feeding within the next week or so.

• Acutus and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#2 Offline Roy3 - Posted August 26 2019 - 7:07 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
You're doing great with them. Good job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  • WanderAnts likes this

#3 Offline WanderAnts - Posted August 27 2019 - 7:04 AM

WanderAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHialeah, Flroida

You're doing great with them. Good job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you

#4 Offline Acutus - Posted August 27 2019 - 7:19 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I love C. castaneus! I have a small colony that's doing awesome, but unfortunately my founding attempt this year didn't go as well as yours! Looks like you're doing great! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: florida, camponotus castaneus, camponotus, castaneus, wander

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users