• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium tsushimae in South Dakota

tetramorium tetramorium tsushimae invasive species

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 19 2019 - 10:53 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

There are two distinct Tetramorium species in my area. The slightly smaller species has some workers which have a red thorax as well, just as T. tsushimae is always described. 

• AnthonyP163 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 19 2019 - 11:20 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It is possible.  What you could do is get a dead specimen, preserve it, and send it to someone with a microscope, if you don"t have one, to get a positive ID. 

• ForestDragon likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 19 2019 - 11:48 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I agree with what Nick says

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 8 2019 - 7:12 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Tetramorium tsushimae and Tetramorium immigrans are not easy to tell apart. Usually tsushimae will have a redder thorax than immigrans, however this is not consistent. One way that was suggested to be an indicator was polygyny, as tsushimae are believed to be polygynous where immigrans are pleometrophic.
In mid July at Barbara Key Park, IL, myself and some other anters collected 11 Tetramorium sp. queens and each took a number of queens. My personal 3 queen colony raised several generations of all black workers before fighting and being left with one queen. However, no fighting has happened in any of the other multi-queen groups, so it may have either been a fluke in my group or it was simply T. immigrans and not T. tsushimae, and we will see fighting in those colonies soon.
Really we need to find a better way to tell the two species apart, as it is quite likely that T. tsushimae is far more widespread across the US than we think. If you are noticing 2 distinct worker colors it could either be a color morph (ex. Crematogaster cerasi being fully black or having a red/black variant) or it could truly be 2 distinct species.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 1 2020 - 7:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I currently have a founding queen, who is 6.5 mm. I’m thinking she may be tsushimae due to her smaller size.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 1 2020 - 7:30 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

It's a bad iPhone video, but it shows what I need it to. A TON of those workers had a red thorax, and they seemed a tiny bit smaller than immigrans.

I took worker specimens from an immigrans colony on my property as well as these cf. tsushimae down the road and looked at them under my microscope. There is no constant 'defining feature' on tsushimae that discerns them from immigrans. However, in this case, I noticed that all specimens (8) of the cf. tsushimae had sparse and shorter gaster hair compared to the (~12) immigrans.

Along with the above morphological differences, the colony was different in behavior. I saw tons of them on that morning, where they could've been flying, but I struggled to gather enough specimens that afternoon.

I have caught 2 smaller queens this year. I have kept them isolated, to avoid mixing species or getting one species killed.

They are thought to have been established for 32 years, starting in St. Louis. This is a perfect place for them to start, since they can spread to small and large towns alike through major roadways going in, and out of St. Louis. Presumably, this is how we find them in northern Illinois, and how I found them in Southeastern WI, and, perhaps, how you found them in South Dakota. I hear rumors of polygynous Tetramorium in Colorado nowadays as well.

There are already records in Springfield, MO, Nashville, TN, and unofficial records of them in other places. I truly think the amount of research done on them is insufficient. Their ability to live in prairies and knack to tend root aphids makes them an even greater problem than immigrans, and it doesn't help that they're polygynous.

• CheetoLord02 and AntsDakota like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 2 2020 - 6:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

There are two distinct Tetramorium species in my area. The slightly smaller species has some workers which have a red thorax as well, just as T. tsushimae is always described.

I have observed colonies within 50 feet of each other, who were of similar size. One colony had noticeably larger workers, while the other had smaller workers. Their alates were slightly different in size as well. Also, the larger and smaller alates will fight, while the smaller alates will cooperate perfectly.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 2 2020 - 9:23 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I'm going to get some more queens and test to see if they're polygynous. 

Edited by AntsDakota, July 2 2020 - 9:23 AM.

#9 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 2 2020 - 10:19 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I'm going to get some more queens and test to see if they're polygynous. 

Please keep in mind while testing this, that Tetramorium immigrans pleometrosis has been observed to last for 9+ months in certain instances. This is the problem in saying that Tetramorium tsushimae is identified by being polygynous. There is no black and white polygyny in ants, sometimes colonies will stay polygyne for a long time, even if the species is not technically 'polygynous'. 

• AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#10 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 2 2020 - 11:39 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I may have seen T. tsushimae in my yard, one colony I saw had a ton of workers with red thoraxes.

Edited by Antkid12, July 2 2020 - 11:39 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 2 2020 - 12:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I may have seen T. tsushimae in my yard, one colony I saw had a ton of workers with red thoraxes.

Well, these have only been recorded in large numbers in the Midwest so far.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 2 2020 - 1:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Let’s hope you’re wrong.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 2 2020 - 1:24 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Every Tetramorium worker I have ever seen has had a red (sometimes very close to head and gaster color) thorax, and all of the colonies I have found have been monogyne.

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 2 2020 - 2:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Ants_Dakota caught a bunch of immigrans queens which are 1-2 mm larger than mine. They get along fine with each other, but when I tried introducing one to my queen, they fought, indicating different species.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, tetramorium tsushimae, invasive species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users