• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tapinoma Sessile Journal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted August 16 2019 - 7:24 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Just an hour ago I saw an Argentine ant colony moving and saw two three queens so I decided to catch one while the colony was still moving. I caught some larvae and around 10-15 workers. So far they are in an outworld connected to a nest but right now they are gathered around the queen. I know these ants can be hard to take care of but I would like to know some tips on keeping them. I know they are good at escaping and are highly polygynous and invasive. Should I collect more workers in the morning? Is there any useful trap? So far I’ve used honey to lure them. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Amazant, August 27 2019 - 2:01 PM.

Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 16 2019 - 7:37 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Argentine ants aren't found in Kansas. What you probably have is tapinoma sessile, the odorous house ant. They are pretty similar to Argentines although much smaller and release a disgusting stench when threatened.

#3 Offline Amazant - Posted August 16 2019 - 8:13 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
When I see odorous house ants they are much smaller and the ants I have caught today are also different and similar to Argentine ants mostly because of the queen having a Gaster that seems to be pointing up like some other workers. They look exactly like this genus Linepithema humile. If you need a picture I can get one.

Edited by Amazant, August 16 2019 - 8:15 PM.

Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 16 2019 - 8:32 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Get a pic. Also, hard to take care of? You can dump several hundred queens and a few thousand workers together, only feed them honey and they occasional protein, and they will thrive. Personal opinion, but they are the most boring ant species. They do nothing that interesting and just run around. Large colonies are fun to observe, like maybe doromyrmex level, but it takes a lot of fused colonies to get that big quickly. They will also reproduce within the nest, so a lot of new queens. Sorry if I sound negative, but I find small, monotypic, generalists kinda disappointing to keep. Good for beginners, though, and they farm aphids.

#5 Offline Amazant - Posted August 17 2019 - 4:37 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Thanks for the information I’ll get a pic soon right now they ere scattered in there water and nesting tubes with the queen and the majority of the workers in a connection tube.

#6 Offline Amazant - Posted August 18 2019 - 12:25 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas

Argentine ants aren't found in Kansas. What you probably have is tapinoma sessile, the odorous house ant. They are pretty similar to Argentines although much smaller and release a disgusting stench when threatened.

You may be right about them being tapinoma sessile but they could also be brachymyrmex I don’t think they are Argentine ants anymore because now there Socail stomachs have caused there Gaster to become pretty large.

Some pictures

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 18 2019 - 12:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Tapinoma sessile. Argentines have large social stomachs, but they have a longer thorax. Brachymyrmex tend to be a bit more compact.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:33 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
Definitely tapinoma sessile. Still a very fun species to keep that grows like crazy!

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:39 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Purdue wanted some specimens, you could send some to him.

#10 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:53 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Tapinoma are awesome they also reproduce in nest

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t waste your time keeping Tapinoma, just my opinion.
  • Martialis likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline Martialis - Posted August 18 2019 - 1:55 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
Agreed with Antdrew. They always escape. Seriously: I’ve tried it.
  • TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Cricketresearcher like this
Spoiler

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 18 2019 - 6:40 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
It is true that tapinoma are escape artists, but I've had great luck keeping my tapinoma melanocephalum (which are even better escape artists than sessile) contained in a tar heel ants mini hearth that is in turn contained in a small plastic container. I'm assuming that would also work with a test tube, just put the whole setup in the dark and they will be fine. I've only had 2 escapes since I got them, and that was only because I didn't secure the formicarium lid tight enough. They didn't breach the container any of these times though.

Edited by Manitobant, August 18 2019 - 6:40 PM.

• ANTdrew and Amazant like this

#14 Offline Amazant - Posted August 19 2019 - 3:16 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas

It is true that tapinoma are escape artists, but I've had great luck keeping my tapinoma melanocephalum (which are even better escape artists than sessile) contained in a tar heel ants mini hearth that is in turn contained in a small plastic container. I'm assuming that would also work with a test tube, just put the whole setup in the dark and they will be fine. I've only had 2 escapes since I got them, and that was only because I didn't secure the formicarium lid tight enough. They didn't breach the container any of these times though.

Do you use fluon and did you fill the container with water and then put fluon around it or something? Thanks for all the advice, I’ll try my best to keep them but if I can would it be okay to give them back to the colony? I’ve introduced like 20 more ants to there colony and they are doing well and no escapees except for when I added some new ones and those got out.
Also do you need a picture of the setup?
Also ANTDrew why don’t you recommend keeping them just because they easily escape?

Edited by Amazant, August 19 2019 - 3:20 PM.

#15 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 19 2019 - 8:43 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Do you use fluon and did you fill the container with water and then put fluon around it or something? Thanks for all the advice, I’ll try my best to keep them but if I can would it be okay to give them back to the colony? I’ve introduced like 20 more ants to there colony and they are doing well and no escapees except for when I added some new ones and those got out.
Also ANTDrew why don’t you recommend keeping them just because they easily escape?
I havent tried fluon and I don't use water, just a setup Inside a container.

#16 Offline Amazant - Posted August 20 2019 - 4:00 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
What do you use as a berries then?

I havent tried fluon and I don't use water, just a setup Inside a container.
What do you use as a barrier then?

Edited by Amazant, August 21 2019 - 6:31 PM.

#17 Offline Amazant - Posted August 26 2019 - 6:44 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
How do you edit the title?
The Tapinoma have some eggs now and have all moved into the test tube and the queen is looking good. Also the workers are clustering around the queen but more of them are clustered around something I can’t see maybe they are just resting or something but they are all doing good and have settled down.

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 26 2019 - 6:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Click "Edit" on the first post, the "Use Full Editor."  You will then be able to edit the title.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users