• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Stowaway - Camponotus floridanus colony in Texas - Dominatus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dominatus - Posted August 15 2019 - 2:14 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
July 27th, 2019: Queen found with eggs and small larva inside potted plant given as gift. Potted plant was bought in either Louisiana or Florida.

Well, my sister came and visited those of us still in Texas. She lives in Florida these days. Along the way she saw a neat cactus at a stop and bought it for me. That was mid July. A couple of weeks later I did asked where she bought the plant but being I only asked after I found the stowaway she had a fuzzy memory and was not sure.

About a week after recieving the plant I rehomed it into a roomy pot and discovered a giant Camponotus sp. queen ant with eggs and larva in the soil. I knew it was not native with its red / black color and its 15mm - 18mm size. The internet seems to agree that it is a Camponotus floridanus queen.

August 1st, 2018: Pupa forming

These are the first pictures I shared here. This is when she had pupa forming and I was finally curious enough to post and confirm the species.

uc?export=download&id=1Wv7bCE6QWVMoz1NtC

uc?export=download&id=12Anl5sLGzj2B2YafG

uc?export=download&id=1AZmK2wGB2R3p2HQU2

August 13th, 2019:

The first nanitic eclosed. A move into an AntsCanada test tube portal was made.

uc?export=download&id=12gUEgdObXb0V9W6WF

August 15th, 2019:

Looks like nanitics will be eclosing rapidly now. Up to 4 now!

uc?export=download&id=12jUU-FynL7FcwQJQO

Edited by dominatus, August 16 2019 - 8:37 AM.

• AntPhycho, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 15 2019 - 2:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Fast growing colony.

• dominatus likes this

#3 Offline dominatus - Posted August 16 2019 - 8:34 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Fast growing colony.

I wasn't sure when I found her if she had already had nanitics at some point and lost them or what. I have made sure fresh insect protein has been available every week. I think that has really helped.

#4 Offline dominatus - Posted August 20 2019 - 7:32 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

August 20th, 2019:

She is up to 8 nanitics now. They are so TINY! She looks so big and majestic. I literally just stare at her sometimes in awe. Hopefully I really did win the lottery. It is one thing to find a queen, another to find one fertile, and another another thing to find one with good genes / healthy disposition for a big and long lived colony.

So far so good *fingers crossed*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users