• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

868 replies to this topic

#81 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 11 2014 - 1:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I guess I should have added this already.

gallery_2_131_528768.jpg

• CrazyLegs, lpst, Broncos and 2 others like this

#82 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 11 2014 - 1:52 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Is this your new design completely finished now? I would like to see ants in that!

#83 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 11 2014 - 2:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not finished yet, but mostly. I had my ants in it, but I think one of the materials I used killed some of them, so I took them out. I have since removed that material, and will be moving them back in once I confirm that the problem is solved.

#84 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 12 2014 - 3:40 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
What was the material? Share the care mate! 😀

#85 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 12 2014 - 4:05 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh sorry. I went into detail about it on my thread. It was Plasti Dip.

#86 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted November 13 2014 - 10:55 AM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

The previous hub was rather large and could be used as a formicarium itself with a few modifications.  This hub is modular and made to be easy to print on a home 3d printer.You can attach multiple hubs together to make a larger setup.  Top is designed for 3mm 45mm x 45mm laser cut acrylic.

XhzxnzY.png

First print

fxRVJSm.jpg

Edited by Cypherf0x, November 13 2014 - 4:45 PM.

All of my working design files are on Github and final optimized 3d printed items are on my Thingiverse

If you need something 3d printed I'm on 3d Hubs

All of my designs are open source licensed under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International unless otherwise noted, but it'll be a rare exception.

#87 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 13 2014 - 3:56 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California

It's finally finished! Credits to Drew for cutting the block of ytong for me and letting me steal his automatic hydration method. (y)

Formicarium Side
Solenopsis Invicta Formicarium Front

• dspdrew, Gregory2455, drtrmiller and 4 others like this

#88 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 13 2014 - 4:06 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It is quite beautiful, and looks pretty space efficient. 

#89 Offline DesertAntz - Posted November 13 2014 - 4:15 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

That does look awesome. I'm sure whatever colony gets it will be happy. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#90 Offline dean_k - Posted November 13 2014 - 4:33 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

That is indeed a spacious outworld. Ants will love it.

And worship you in progress.

#91 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 13 2014 - 5:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That turned out pretty nice.

• ant007 likes this

#92 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2014 - 8:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This was the very first formicarium I ever started working on. I ended up completely destroying it before it was ever complete. I'm mainly posting this because drtrmiller wanted to see it. This was going to have back-lit chambers. You can see the diffused translucent white plastic I had on the backs of the chambers to let the light through. I also colored it with some brown clay dirt and water. The hose fittings were for some sort of hydration system that never, nor would have ever worked right.

med_gallery_2_271_66888.jpg

med_gallery_2_271_426772.jpg

med_gallery_2_271_254586.jpg

med_gallery_2_271_27185.jpg

med_gallery_2_271_1063334.jpg

• CrazyLegs likes this

#93 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2014 - 10:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

My third prototype.

gallery_2_131_47638.jpg

• CrazyLegs and Lazarus like this

#94 Offline dermy - Posted November 14 2014 - 11:39 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I like the black!

Did you let it fully cure before adding anything to it?

#95 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2014 - 1:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There is no Plasti Dip this time.

#96 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted November 17 2014 - 12:28 PM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Hose hub version 3 with version 2 above.  I've simplified the design to use less materials and be faster to print.  Its designed for 3/8in / 1cm hose.  It's printed with the green PLA I have on hand at the moment.  I have a roll of white ABS on order.  The tabs on the right print are supports for a test print that I haven't got around to sanding off yet.  What high tech method will be used for holding on the acrylic top?  A bit of tape on the edges.

Lmpa2GV.jpg

All of my working design files are on Github and final optimized 3d printed items are on my Thingiverse

All of my designs are open source licensed under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International unless otherwise noted, but it'll be a rare exception.

#97 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 17 2014 - 2:46 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What high tech method will be used for holding on the acrylic top?  A bit of tape on the edges.

I make my acrylic friction fit in 3D setups.  Just adjust your prints until you get a nice fit so ants can't climb through, and leave a tiny groove in the perimeter of the plastic to extract the acrylic with a fingernail or razor blade.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#98 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted November 17 2014 - 8:18 PM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

I make my acrylic friction fit in 3D setups.  Just adjust your prints until you get a nice fit so ants can't climb through, and leave a tiny groove in the perimeter of the plastic to extract the acrylic with a fingernail or razor blade.

I have a sheet of acrylic on order.  I'll have to cut it when it comes in.  I can play with tolerances after that.  It's made to be inexpensive to print on Shapeways for anyone who should want one.  Plastic is about $12.  The acrylic top is very inexpensive as well.  It's not quite as cheap as printing it yourself but it's an option for people who don't have a printer.

#99 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted November 19 2014 - 3:50 PM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Seen a lot of test tubes in baskets so I made a horizontal test tube holder.  A stacking version will come later.

IUQSNCr.png

PAcMYdt.jpg

• Gregory2455 and JoeByron like this

#100 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 19 2014 - 5:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pretty cool, but it looks like they might slide around pretty easily.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users