• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

867 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Willow1218 - Posted August 6 2014 - 4:07 PM

Willow1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

POPULAR

Hi these are nests that I make out of ytong and grout :)

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Barristan, AntsTexas, rdurham02 and 7 others like this

#62 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 6 2014 - 5:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wow those look really  nice.  :)

• Willow1218 and DaAnt like this

#63 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 7 2014 - 9:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hi these are nests that I make out of ytong and grout :)

Not bad.

#64 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 8 2014 - 9:50 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I've seen those on facebook! Teehee, I know who you are. -stalker-

• Willow1218 likes this

#65 Offline Willow1218 - Posted August 9 2014 - 3:31 AM

Willow1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Haha is that in a group?

#66 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 9 2014 - 8:39 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Yeah. Mikey's fb group.

#67 Offline Willow1218 - Posted August 9 2014 - 8:51 AM

Willow1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep that's me :)

#68 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 2 2014 - 5:47 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I thought recently to start experimenting with the styles ants dig their own colonies with. What I am thinking on doing, is for when I want to make a formicarium designed for a certain species, I move a small colony into a tuppaware filled with dirt, and let them dig for a few days. After I see they have progressed and I have a good model, I would stress the colony with factors such as temperature and light into moving out completely into another formicarium/test tube setup. Then, I cast the deserted nest with paraffin wax or some other material and wash the dirt out. With the model, I can then cast grout/ plaster nests, and carve AAC/ firebrick accordingly into shape to perfectly fit the natural nest style of that species. Anyone have any ideas to help improve this?

#69 Offline Crystals - Posted September 2 2014 - 6:05 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

It will be very hard to get them to leave the soil, even after it has dried out.  When dry tunnels can collapse.  You might find a group of wild workers and just let them dig until the day the last one passes away from old age.

Even just look at some of those aluminum ant nest castings, they you can see the pattern.  Parafin wax might break in the cleaning process, plaster of paris might be a better bet.  Or even better, use clay and simply let it dry out or kiln it.

• ant007 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#70 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 2 2014 - 6:08 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It will be very hard to get them to leave the soil, even after it has dried out.  When dry tunnels can collapse.  You might find a group of wild workers and just let them dig until the day the last one passes away from old age.

Even just look at some of those aluminum ant nest castings, they you can see the pattern.  Parafin wax might break in the cleaning process, plaster of paris might be a better bet.  Or even better, use clay and simply let it dry out or kiln it.

I just said paraffin because I have a lot of it condensed into blocks... The wild workers is a really good idea, or take a couple workers from a captive colony that is doing well.

#71 Offline LAnt - Posted September 7 2014 - 3:33 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Do you really want to make a mold? I like the idea but couldn't you just eyeball a realistic looking mold?

#72 Offline dermy - Posted September 7 2014 - 4:22 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Why eyeball it when you can get the ants to do the work for you? They are just workers, they get replaced by more workers, unless you don't like that idea....

#73 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 7 2014 - 6:37 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I think that's a pretty interesting idea Gregory. Maybe you'll discover a new reason why ants build their nests a certain way that hasn't been noticed yet, etc. I'd imagine you'd be using a vertical "Uncle Milton" style to get the molding first?

By any means it is an interesting idea though I have doubts about it providing a more capable nest than a boring hand carved artificial one but I guess we won't really know until you try it.

#74 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 7 2014 - 6:46 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'd imagine you'd be using a vertical "Uncle Milton" style to get the molding first?

Thanks for saying it is an OK idea, I plan on making my own nest for it. :) I am going to use a double pane glass, kind of like the formicarium of that sort I have, but smaller, and it would be able to open on the bottom, to be able to wash the dirt out faster.

#75 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 17 2014 - 12:53 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

Here's something I built this weekend that I plan to use for testing as my prototype for a whole series of completely customizable, interchangeable, and reusable, laboratory style formicaria I'm designing. I plan to make these as simple, compact, and uniform as possible, and with a hydration system that can last at least one month before needing to be refilled. I'm not going to explain much right now, but you can get the basic idea from these pictures. I will post more here and there as I go. Some of the design aspects shown in these pictures are not at all what the final design will be like, and even some that were meant to be in the final design, I have already changed my mind about. There will be Ytong, firebrick, or Hydrostone used, but the actual nest portion will mainly be made of acrylic, unlike this prototype. Also, unlike this one you see here, being that they are not designed for display, I am not planning to paint these either.

gallery_2_131_47562.jpg

gallery_2_131_157191.jpg

gallery_2_131_19151.jpg

Where did you get this kind of box? this would be great to make a nest and outworld.

Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#76 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 17 2014 - 1:32 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
The Container Store. The closest location to me and you is Pasadena I think.
  • ant007 likes this

#77 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2014 - 1:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Where did you get this kind of box? this would be great to make a nest and outworld.

They would be AWESOME to use for a nest and an out world. :P

You can find them at The Container Store.

• ant007 likes this

#78 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 17 2014 - 3:14 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

where at?

Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#79 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2014 - 3:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...Container Store

#80 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted November 11 2014 - 6:18 AM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

No ants right now so I'm biding time by designing some prototype formicariums.

First is an initial prototype of a modular formicarium.  The little tab indents you see on the side can be used to connect two of them together and the slots on the top are for doors to block or allow access.  It's 180mm x 180mm designed to be made of laser cut acrylic.  The idea is to minimize the need to undo tubes and possibly get stung or bitten and to grow with modules as needed.

6jcJeaM.png

I've seen some crazy tube configurations with tubes going through tubes to split them.  This hub is made for SLS 3d printing with an acrylic top for 5/8" tubing.

SoG2m4T.png

I'm not intending to sell anything.  The parts are CC-Attribution-ShareAlike international licensed.  You could make them and sell them yourself.  Everything is open design.

https://github.com/cypherf0x/Antlab

• cazantyl and John7429 like this

All of my working design files are on Github and final optimized 3d printed items are on my Thingiverse

If you need something 3d printed I'm on 3d Hubs

All of my designs are open source licensed under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International unless otherwise noted, but it'll be a rare exception.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users