• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

868 replies to this topic

#341 Offline nevillz - Posted February 26 2018 - 4:02 PM

nevillz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPoland

Hey! This is my DIY formicarium for small colony of L. Niger. I'm waiting for material to make transparent cover for ant nest and whole formicarium.

Central part of nest is for watering purposes. Whenever colony is in need for more water they can go on top of the nest and get water from sponge / cottonwool.

I could add breakable hole in the bottom so I could connect this formicarium to anything bigger. Every part is replacable.

Do you have any protips?

nIqE1mj.jpggigCE48.jpg

Edited by nevillz, February 26 2018 - 4:02 PM.

• smares, Straywolf94 and Broncos like this

#342 Offline Kevin - Posted February 26 2018 - 4:30 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Hey! This is my DIY formicarium for small colony of L. Niger. I'm waiting for material to make transparent cover for ant nest and whole formicarium.

Central part of nest is for watering purposes. Whenever colony is in need for more water they can go on top of the nest and get water from sponge / cottonwool.

I could add breakable hole in the bottom so I could connect this formicarium to anything bigger. Every part is replacable.

Do you have any protips?

I assume the outer piece is to have an acrylic box fitted on for an outworld? If so you need to make a plug or something on the of the water port for the sponge otherwise they can nest inside the watering chamber, which you probably don't want. Other than that, I like it.

Edited by Kevin, February 26 2018 - 4:30 PM.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#343 Offline Major - Posted June 11 2018 - 2:29 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Well I guess it’s time for me to make a nest too for my Camponotus! Any ideas. (Btw I really like Drew’s setups)

#344 Offline KBant - Posted June 11 2018 - 5:04 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Honestly just buy a fortress from Tar Heel Ants. Recently bought two and then another two. They work very well!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#345 Offline Major - Posted June 11 2018 - 5:22 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I’ve already bought some formicariums, but made one for my queen today!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#346 Offline Major - Posted June 11 2018 - 5:34 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

deleted by author

Edited by Major, September 13 2019 - 11:24 AM.

• CoolColJ likes this

#347 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 21 2018 - 9:59 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

http://www.formicult...iy-formicarium/

Yeah I know it sucks. Didn’t have a test tube so threw this together.

Better than a test tube apart from visibility :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#348 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 23 2018 - 4:41 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Here's a pic of a formicarium that I made out of aeriated concrete (AC). I live in the US so This stuff is virtually unheard of. This was just supposed to be a test block that I made, but it looks like I've finally found a good recipe that cures rather well. I've tried several combinations and was starting to get discouraged, so I'm happy this turned out.

I decided to just carve it out and move my small, yet over crowded C. pennsylvanicus colony into it. There's more space than they need, but it's not really a big deal - the colony is growing fast.

This colony is also doubling as a gunea pig. If there's no issues after a couple weeks (with the colony or brick) I'm going to make a giant form that I can fill with AC that produces several smaller bricks at a time. I plan on selling the bricks if all goes well.

20180623 194907

20180623 194828

Edited by Jamiesname, June 23 2018 - 5:16 PM.

• dermy, Barristan, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

#349 Offline Major - Posted June 25 2018 - 2:19 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Uhhh don’t use my formicarium, had an escape.

Edited by The_NY_Major, July 7 2018 - 7:02 PM.

#350 Offline FormicaAntFarmKit - Posted August 8 2018 - 4:56 AM

FormicaAntFarmKit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

POPULAR

I use acrylic storage boxes from IKEA and 3D printed nests to give my ant farms some individuality =)

5cqzQOc.png  5b7xxnB.png

yKB2hsl.png  onAdz1n.png

bJXvItu.png

• dermy, Barristan, giraffedom and 7 others like this

#351 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted August 19 2018 - 6:30 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

IMG_1056_zpsaur8roaz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1IMG_1056_zpslymiavdn.jpg.html?o=0http://s347.photobuc...dn.jpg.html?o=0

This is my first plaster nest. Its supposed to hold Tapinoma sessile or Tetramorium sp.e

Plants r cool

#352 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 20 2018 - 4:56 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I use acrylic storage boxes from IKEA and 3D printed nests to give my ant farms some individuality =)

Please use a different colour for the nests.
That brown is by far the worst for colour contrast to ants, and just looks pukey...
  • Major and Ikerrilove like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#353 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 20 2018 - 9:18 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Please use a different colour for the nests.
That brown is by far the worst for colour contrast to ants, and just looks pukey...
It would look good for a red sand arid set up I reckon. Personally I prefer a natural colour for nests, most plastic formicariums look like they should be in a space station or something. I like them being brown but there are many shades brown!
  • Ikerrilove likes this

#354 Offline CelticWanderer - Posted September 9 2018 - 3:51 PM

CelticWanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Has anyone tried making a formicarium out of that green fake plant stuff? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I think they call it florists foam?

#355 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 9 2018 - 4:09 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Has anyone tried making a formicarium out of that green fake plant stuff? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I think they call it florists foam?

I do think you mean florists' foam.  There is a good reason to not make any formicarium out of it: ants can easily chew through it.  

• CelticWanderer likes this

#356 Offline CelticWanderer - Posted September 9 2018 - 5:30 PM

CelticWanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I do think you mean florists' foam. There is a good reason to not make any formicarium out of it: ants can easily chew through it.

I know, but I can't seem to find any AAC or soft concrete blocks ANYWHERE!:( I was going to mold the nest out of it and use it in an all-in-one type setup, but I guess you have a point with them being able to chew it to pieces:/

#357 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 9 2018 - 5:32 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I know, but I can't seem to find any AAC or soft concrete blocks ANYWHERE! :( I was going to mold the nest out of it and use it in an all-in-one type setup, but I guess you have a point with them being able to chew it to pieces:/

If you live in the US, there are no places that sell just regular bricks.  Closest thing to it is firebrick, I think.  Look around the forum using the search bar to see what people do to make nests.

• CelticWanderer likes this

#358 Offline CelticWanderer - Posted September 9 2018 - 5:42 PM

CelticWanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If you live in the US, there are no places that sell just regular bricks. Closest thing to it is firebrick, I think. Look around the forum using the search bar to see what people do to make nests.

Cheers Zeiss 👍🏼

#359 Offline Crystals - Posted September 9 2018 - 6:11 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I know, but I can't seem to find any AAC or soft concrete blocks ANYWHERE! :( I was going to mold the nest out of it and use it in an all-in-one type setup, but I guess you have a point with them being able to chew it to pieces:/

I made a number of tutorials for making formicariums from various materials: http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#360 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 15 2018 - 5:02 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
A few of mine. They have a box coated with grout beneath the substrate. Some just have a straw embedded so water can be introduced to the bottom of the substrate to provide a gradient, in some the box has vents on the top and low on a side and is filled with wet sand. I'm still in the experimental stage atm.

• Barristan, Major and Boog like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users