• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[ Solved - Not an ant :( its possibly just a Mutilla quinquemaculata] Chalkidiki (Greece) caught on 10/8/2019

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GiannisF77 - Posted August 11 2019 - 8:29 AM

GiannisF77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGreece

Hey guys!

I hope everyone had a fruitful summer so far, with a lot of catches. Please help me out with this one. I've done some reasearch, but despite the fact that it is a quite recognisable ant, I didn't find any info. I really hope you can help me out! So here is the info:

1. Location of collection: Village of Kassandria,Chalkidiki, Nothern Greece

2. Date of collection: Saturday 10th of August 2019.

3. Habitat of collection: My attic (wood/concrete environment)
4. Length : 1.5 mm (+- 1)
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: A brownish red with a black gaster. Gaster has 3 white dots on it in a symmetrical triangular pattern pointing towards the head. Black little spot where head connects to the body (can't say it has a neck hahahah).
6. Distinguishing characteristics: I don't see a petiole, and also I can't find the wing scars, though it has some darker little spots where those should be... I hope its a queen though, it definetly has the right shape and size.
7. Anything else distinctive: It moves kind of franticly, especialy the antennas on the head. It chewed HARD on the cotton. It even managed to escape! I used foil and rubber instead but it chews those too! I mean, it should settle down, right? It is a standard test tube set up, placed in a dark quiet place, with water and all... I caught two more of the exact same description a couple of weeks back, but they died after constantly chewing on whatever seal I had on the tube...
8. Nest description: Can't find the nest, but I have seen worker ant trails in my attic with the same colours, but without the pattern.

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Unknown... I don't even think there could be a nuptial flight in here... Id notice...

10 .Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/KiGC9vC

Please guys this is an emergency, I suspect they are killing themselves but chewing on the cotton!

Thanks in advance for your time guys!

Edited by GiannisF77, August 11 2019 - 11:59 PM.

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted August 11 2019 - 8:49 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Not an ant at all

Well perhaps in name only. Its a Velvet ant. AKA, a wingless solitary wasp.

• GiannisF77 likes this

#3 Offline GiannisF77 - Posted August 11 2019 - 8:57 AM

GiannisF77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGreece

Wow thanks! Even found matching photos! But can they be kept or is that not possible at all?

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 11 2019 - 10:00 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wow thanks! Even found matching photos! But can they be kept or is that not possible at all?

Can be kept, they just drink sugary liquids. Their lifespan is not that long, though.

• GiannisF77 likes this

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 11 2019 - 11:27 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Not likely this is T. vagans which is a North American species.

Edited by gcsnelling, August 11 2019 - 11:27 AM.

• GiannisF77 likes this

#6 Offline GiannisF77 - Posted August 11 2019 - 11:52 AM

GiannisF77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGreece

Can be kept, they just drink sugary liquids. Their lifespan is not that long, though.

Ishouldnt expect any eggs, should I?

#7 Offline GiannisF77 - Posted August 11 2019 - 11:54 AM

GiannisF77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGreece

Not likely this is T. vagans which is a North American species.

Oh, ok, I went through a lot of pics and it looked identical to me... shouldn't be that specific I guess...

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 11 2019 - 1:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ishouldnt expect any eggs, should I?

They are actually parasites, so unless she's mated and you have a host nest of bees, wasps, or ants of the correct species, no.

#9 Offline FSTP - Posted August 11 2019 - 4:29 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

its hard to see from the pictures but I'm thinking it looks more like Mutilla europaea not T. vagans

#10 Offline MadDog - Posted August 12 2019 - 1:59 PM

MadDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRay City, Ga
Just a fun little side note... In the Southern USA, we call them cow ants... Reason being is that the sting is rumored to be strong enough to take down a cow. Not true, but man do they hurt! I was stung by one when I was about 5 or 6 and remember it vividly to this day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users