• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wander's Odontomachus haematodus Journal

wander odontomachus haematodus odontomachus haematodus florida south florida fl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WanderAnts - Posted August 12 2019 - 12:23 PM

WanderAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHialeah, Flroida

I received three Odontomachus haematodus queens from fellow Floridian and member of Formiculture Aaron567 , of the three queens two are founding together and the third queen will be going it alone, and this journal will be about her. So I received this queen towards the beginning of July, and she arrived with a few eggs and laid a few more just days after getting to me.

July 9th - A short clip that shows her large clutch of eggs just days after arriving, at this point, I had her in only a test tube with some dirt I added. I also wrapped a strip of red transparency paper and slid it over the tube covering the portion closest to the cotton, hoping to give her an area in her tube where light wouldn't both her much. In the next two weeks, I nixed the idea of keeping her in just the test tube and placed her tube inside a small acrylic boxbox container which I added substrate and springtails to. The queen immediately started bringing in

August 9th - Over the next few weeks the queen brought in the substrate and created a wall of dirt at the edge of the red cover, and three of her larvae have grown steadily to some pretty big sizes. Up to this point, I have been feeding her cut up bits of super worm and freeze-dried Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms which her and the larvae seem to decimate pretty rapidly.

August 12th - So I decided to check on this queen earlier this morning before heading out to work and am happy to report one of the three large larvae has pupated, and she also seems now to have a third egg. I'm hoping the other two larvae pupate soon as well and that she successfully ecloses her first worker within the coming weeks.

Edited by WanderAnts, August 12 2019 - 5:56 PM.

• Karma, rbarreto and Somethinghmm like this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 12 2019 - 1:32 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Wow! Just... WOW! I am really excited to see what will happen in this journal!
  • WanderAnts likes this

#3 Offline Superant33 - Posted August 13 2019 - 9:42 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hmmm. Going to have to try that blood worm idea with my Odontomachus. My queens primarily eat fruit flies. The one large colony I have will tackle crickets and roaches with ease (they also get fruit flies).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wander, odontomachus haematodus, odontomachus, haematodus, florida, south florida, fl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users