• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Soil for vivarium setups?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 9 2019 - 9:10 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

I want to build a vivarium type setup for either one of my Camponotus Novaeboracensis colonies or one of my Formica Sp. I thought a few targeted searches would quickly help me out in figuring what soil mixtures would be appropriate by I found surprisingly little on the subject.

I imagine a typical answer would go along the lines of 'just take what soil you find around your place' since that is where the ants are anyhow. But even within just a few feet of my house there are areas that are mostly clay, some dryer sandy areas and other mixtures. A Queen looking for a place to found a colony would have lots of choices to pick what is best.

Any suggestions or links? Is potting soil OK to use or do they treat those with chemicals (natural or otherwise) that may prove to be detrimental? Should I create a mixture of x% clay, y% dry, etc. Perhaps mix in some sphagnum moss?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

• ANTdrew likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 9 2019 - 1:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I use soil with a high clay content in my vivariums mainly because that’s the only soil we have in my area. Clay has the advantage of forming solid collapse-proof tunnels plus it retains moisture very well.
I definitely don’t sterilize it either because I wanted it to be bioactive with decomposers.

Another thought I had is that soil around the typical house is highly disturbed, so that’s why you see so many different types. Maybe you could find a less disturbed area where your target ants are nesting and gather from there?

Edited by ANTdrew, August 9 2019 - 1:34 PM.

• Ant Broski, Lazarus and PacificNorthWestern like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 10 2019 - 4:01 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

I definitely don’t sterilize it either because I wanted it to be bioactive with decomposers.

I definitely want the bioactive aspect. As a matter of fact I would have started this project earlier but definitely wanted a springtail colony going to have them on 'cleanup duty'. I had no luck trying to catch my own but thankfully fellow member rbarreto was able to point me to a local source.

Within reason, I want to have as biodiverse a vivarium as possible. Anything that won't be harmful to the ants and that I won't have to worry about escaping will be a bonus.

• rbarreto and ANTdrew like this

#4 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 10 2019 - 2:18 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Go check out nordic ants on youtube. He has the best vivarium I've ever seen.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 10 2019 - 6:12 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I'm working on several vivaria and I normally use a mix of a clay substrate, sand, charcoal and sphagnum moss
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 10 2019 - 7:09 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have used eco earth ( https://www.amazon.c...LMXRLPQLV&psc=1 )for vivariums in the past when I had anoles. I believe it would a perfect substrate for both plants and ants. 

• Lazarus likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#7 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 11 2019 - 2:12 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Go check out nordic ants on youtube. He has the best vivarium I've ever seen.

I've been watching his videos for a long time and they are certainly part of my desire to create a much, MUCH smaller version of his gigantic setup. Talk about biodiversity! He's got some creatures in there that I've never even seen before. And as lame as his jokes may appear to some, I find the guy quite funny at times. Very entertaining.

• rbarreto and ANTdrew like this

#8 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 11 2019 - 2:21 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

I have used eco earth ( https://www.amazon.c...LMXRLPQLV&psc=1 )for vivariums in the past when I had anoles. I believe it would a perfect substrate for both plants and ants. 

Thanks. I did note that in a lot of vivarium setup videos people tend to include coconut fibers (as this mixture contains). But since my local climate certainly does not sustain coconut palms, or any palms at all, it would not be something in my local soil.

So the question I ask myself is should I just stick to ingredients that I would find in my local soil or use anything I can to make and "ideal" soil mixture? Since I will have some plants and moss, I'm trying to find something that would accommodate them as well as the ants.

• ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 11 2019 - 2:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nordic Ants is a great channel! Another great channel worth checking out is Serpa Design. He makes all kinds of bioactive vivariums and terrariums.
My vote for you is to just go local. It seems easier, cheaper, and may bring in beneficial bacteria that local ants need to thrive. We’re only just starting to understand the soil micro-biome.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 11 2019 - 2:38 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Nordic Ants is a great channel! Another great channel worth checking out is Serpa Design. He makes all kinds of bioactive vivariums and terrariums.
My vote for you is to just go local. It seems easier, cheaper, and may bring in beneficial bacteria that local ants need to thrive. We’re only just starting to understand the soil micro-biome.

Yeah, I've been watching Serpa too. :) That guy sure knows his plants. I can't even pronounce half of them much less know the difference. Another example where he sometimes uses coconut fibers in his "goto" recipe for soil. I tried making a few self-contained vivariums like his last year but they did not turn out well, but a huge reason was that I used really small containers (and I did not have springtails! ;) ).

Edited by Lazarus, August 11 2019 - 2:38 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users