• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Random Camponotus sp. found in gift plant

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dominatus - Posted August 1 2019 - 10:12 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

So I found this lady last weekend when putting a cactus in a new pot. She was in the soil doing her thing I guess. My sister brought me the cactus when she was visiting. She is from Florida and I'm here in Texas. She said she bought it on the drive but she couldn't really remember where, she thinks it was in Louisiana but she really didn't seem to be sure. I asked a week after the trip so who knows. I'll keep her as I'm sure she is not native, I've never seen a red and black carpenter ant so big in Texas. I imagine this is a prime example of one way those dang fire ants spread. I don't she would be so troublesome but no reason to not keep her and be safe. Besides she is kinda awesome, I love the big ant species.

She is at least 15mm, maybe a couple more, she doesn't hold still once she is in the light. I don't have her in very clear test tube so my pictures suck.

I found her with eggs and larva, never saw any workers, so I'm assuming she just got started not too long ago. I did offer her some honey and half a cricket, ate it all. She now has a pupa and more larva and more eggs.

What do y'all think? Lucky find or trouble?

uc?export=download&id=1Wv7bCE6QWVMoz1NtC

uc?export=download&id=12Anl5sLGzj2B2YafG

uc?export=download&id=1AZmK2wGB2R3p2HQU2

• FSTP, AntPhycho, TennesseeAnts and 4 others like this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 2 2019 - 4:41 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
You are extremely lucky! She must of heard of you on AntBook so she hitched a ride with your sister so she could be kept by you.
  • ANTdrew and Gracegarden like this

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 2 2019 - 7:06 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I believe this is Camponotus floridanus.  Be very careful, these things grow insanely fast. They can get over 1,000 workers in a year!  Good luck!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline Silq - Posted August 2 2019 - 7:21 AM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

I believe this is Camponotus floridanus.  Be very careful, these things grow insanely fast. They can get over 1,000 workers in a year!  Good luck!

Geez, I wish the ones in California could get half way to that in a year lol.

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#5 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 2 2019 - 8:16 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I believe this is Camponotus floridanus. Be very careful, these things grow insanely fast. They can get over 1,000 workers in a year! Good luck!

Do you mean a mature colony? There's no way a colony could reach a thousand workers in the first year. That would be insane but also pretty awesome.

Edited by rbarreto, August 2 2019 - 8:20 AM.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 2 2019 - 9:56 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

My dream come true would be finding an Odontomachus queen in a flower pot.  :D

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline dominatus - Posted August 2 2019 - 4:17 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
I've read that before, about them getting that big that fast. I'll let y'all know how fast the colony grows. I'll be planning a mansion in anticipation...

#8 Offline SuperFrank - Posted August 2 2019 - 5:09 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
It is indeed C floridanus, they are extremely prevelant here (florida) and fly all summer. It is true about them rapidly reaching large numbers but it can be controlled rather easily by limiting their food intake. However if you want them to grow, this is a species who will eat basically all you can give it and grow accordingly, once they get going the queens begin producing big gobs of eggs, they also do not need to enter a diapause. They are also a very aggressive species and all members are quick to bite, but you can only really feel the majors.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#9 Offline dominatus - Posted August 4 2019 - 8:37 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Ha, you guys got me a bit excited. All this sounds like an ant colony I would enjoy a lot. I went ahead and gave her a warmer spot. She has 3 or 4 pupae now. I'll start planning a big formicarium for her. Hopefully she does well since I don't think I could get this lucky again.

#10 Offline dominatus - Posted August 13 2019 - 9:10 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Well, her first nanitic eclosed today!

I have a giant formicarium I am in the middle of building for her. I like to have things ready well before they are needed. It is around 46" x 12". If I maximize chamber space how big do y'all think the colony could grow before they need even more room? I am thinking a grid of half inch chambers. Y'all said they grow fast and to be ready, well, am I ready for at least a year's worth of growth?!?

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted August 14 2019 - 2:02 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I believe this is Camponotus floridanus. Be very careful, these things grow insanely fast. They can get over 1,000 workers in a year! Good luck!

Do you mean a mature colony? There's no way a colony could reach a thousand workers in the first year. That would be insane but also pretty awesome.

My Camponotus barbaricus made it to 1k workers in around 1.5 years and they hibernated for 5 months. If C. floridanus has a shorter hibernation period or is a bit smaller they can very well do that. Once they reached around 100 workers they start to grow really really fast.

• rbarreto likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#12 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 14 2019 - 8:41 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

My Camponotus barbaricus made it to 1k workers in around 1.5 years and they hibernated for 5 months. If C. floridanus has a shorter hibernation period or is a bit smaller they can very well do that. Once they reached around 100 workers they start to grow really really fast.

I'm so jealous. My Camponotus novaeboracensis is at around 120 workers and is about to head into hibernation. Maybe they'll hit it next year.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#13 Offline dominatus - Posted August 15 2019 - 2:20 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I started journal for this lady as things seem to be going well and nanitics are eclosing every day it seems. I'll post updates and future pics there. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users