• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colleges that support myrmecology or entomology

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 31 2019 - 5:15 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Since it seems quite a few people on this forum wish to study ants for a living, (Including me), I would like to ask anyone out there what colleges have entomology or myrmecology classes. 

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 31 2019 - 5:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Apparently Cornell Uni. is pretty good, ranked number 1. I would study ants for a living if you could make more money for it. I would rather have a lucrative job, retire fairly early, and study ants as I please then.
  • smares and ponerinecat like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 31 2019 - 5:41 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Apparently Cornell Uni. is pretty good, ranked number 1. I would study ants for a living if you could make more money for it. I would rather have a lucrative job, retire fairly early, and study ants as I please then.

Yeah, but you wouldn't have professional colleagues, travel fees mostly paid for you, and most importantly, the ability to tell people "I is a science person doing sciencytific things" when they ask you what you're doing. :D

Edited by ponerinecat, July 31 2019 - 5:42 PM.

• Gracegarden likes this

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 31 2019 - 8:10 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
University of Florida is widely known for its entomology program and university of Arizona is good too.
  • smares likes this

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 1 2019 - 2:31 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

UC Davis is certainly a good school. However do not expect there to be any money in it, and travel fees etc often times end up being out of pocket.

• Subverted, AntsBC and Manitobant like this

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 1 2019 - 11:55 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

UC Davis is certainly a good school. However do not expect there to be any money in it, and travel fees etc often times end up being out of pocket.

That's good to know. I live right next to it.

#7 Offline SuperFrank - Posted August 2 2019 - 5:13 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
University of Florida has a good Entomology program, I'm currently completing my AA at the community college in the same town and plan on transferring there for the program.

Edited by SuperFrank, August 2 2019 - 5:13 PM.

#8 Offline giraffedom - Posted August 3 2019 - 10:17 PM

giraffedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
I highly recommend the University of Arizona for research opportunities in myrmecology for undergraduates. Not so much for classes on these subjects unless you take graduate level courses.

#9 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted August 3 2019 - 11:12 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Since it seems quite a few people on this forum wish to study ants for a living, (Including me), I would like to ask anyone out there what colleges have entomology or myrmecology classes. 

Entering college this year. Like NickAnter mention Cornell is pretty good for entomology. I based a good portion of my college choices based on entomology opportunities. I was planning to apply but missed a couple of the deadlines. Two other schools I was planning to apply but dint was Purdue University and Texas A&M. I had a UC Riverside alumni/staff come to talk to our school about their college and my friend that is enrolled in that school has told me that the university wants more entomology major since the facility is over funded there. I have not done much research about this myself but UC Riverside does has a pretty supportive entomology field over there. 

Ultimately, I am majoring biology will probably focus on evolution and take all the entomology courses I can get. Entomology is more popular as a Master Degree, but I really do not want to do schooling any longer. Good Luck on your choice, it can feel overwhelming at times. 

#10 Offline Syber_ant - Posted February 2 2021 - 12:33 PM

Syber_ant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBrentwood california

well now i know i won't have to study law

• Pumpkin_Loves_Ants likes this

#11 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 2 2021 - 5:32 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

the chances of me getting into cornell is lower than my grades

ill leave that to you to figure out

シグナチャーです。예.

#12 Offline PogoQueen - Posted February 6 2021 - 10:11 AM

PogoQueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
San Francisco state university also has myrmecology programs (masters and doctorate programs) and is the college Brian Fisher is a biology professor at if you would be interested in studying under him. Good luck!

#13 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 6 2021 - 11:21 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Yeah Cornell would definitely be a really great choice if you wanted to pursue entomology, especially since most other programs don't offer it as a major for undergraduates.

#14 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted February 6 2021 - 4:38 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Consider what area of ant biology and behavior, evolution and population genetics etc you are interested in.  I have given three links below along with cut/paste from the home pages of these sites.  Look at them, read some of the papers these labs produce and reflect.  I am doing my masters at University of Tennessee.  If I were to pursue a PhD I would consider all three of these labs but also look at graduates from these programs as these three labs have produced some amazing researchers.  Dr. Lucky for example is a graduate from Dr. Ward's lab.  If you want to pursue ants as professional passion there are great opportunities.  If you are looking for a lucrative profession there are opportunities but you may have to be very creative and really apply your self in innovative areas.

https://www.moreaula...ogy.cornell.edu

The Moreau Lab

ant-white-1xblte9.png

Research in our lab focuses on the symbiotic factors that drive speciation, adaptation, and evolutionary diversification.  We use ants and other insects to tease apart the factors that influence patterns of evolution – from the rise of the flowering plants, symbioses ants have with other insects and plants, and their gut-associated microbial community are all potential underlying factors that may have facilitated their ecological dominance in almost all terrestrial ecosystems.  In addition we are interested in how biogeography, climate change and invasive ants have and will continue to affect the evolutionary processes that generate and sustain high biological diversity in tropical ecosystems and other habitats.  Furthermore we are interested in how we can use molecular methods, next-generation sequencing, and comparative genomics with field-based research to study biodiversity across scales.

https://andrealucky.com

Welcome to the Lucky Lab!

We focus on ant systematics, phylogenomics, invasion ecology, science education, and public participation in science. Much of the work we do builds on specimen collections and taxonomic foundations to ask ecological and evolutionary questions. These days, we are especially interested in the causes and consequences of ant invasions.

https://wardlab.wordpress.com

Overview

We are a group of myrmecologists who study the taxonomy, evolution, biogeography, and behavior of ants.

In many terrestrial habitats – especially those of the lowland tropics – ants rival other arthropods in numerical abundance, ecological importance, and species richness. Our research is concerned with unraveling details about the evolutionary history of ants and attempting to understand the processes that have generated such an extraordinary diversity of form and function. This work entails species-level taxonomy through analyses of phylogenetic relationships, among other topics.

• gcsnelling and Martialis like this

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 6 2021 - 5:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Minoring as an entomologist, whilst getting a major in Chemical Engineering would be a powerful one. Granted, you would be most wanted by pest control, however, it would give opportunity to find ways to destroy invasive species.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#16 Offline DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL - Posted February 7 2021 - 8:49 PM

DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationIndia

Sooo just this one question?

Which would be the 2 best colleges?

Edited by DIACAMMAWORLDCOOL, February 7 2021 - 8:51 PM.

#17 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 7 2021 - 10:01 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Sooo just this one question?

Which would be the 2 best colleges?

That would probably be a hard question to answer if you only take a look at the opportunities that are presented through entomology. The best colleges are the ones that you yourself are a good fit to.

• Martialis likes this

#18 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted February 7 2021 - 10:12 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California
No clue here about best two, and if I had a clue it would only be an opinion.

Suppose you want to go as far as you can with it: Go to a school that a) has a good reputation b.) a good entomology program c) will accept you. Subscribe to or use your university library to access entomology scientific journals. Get excellent grades. Earn an entomology BS. Follow PurdueEntomology’s advice, above, try to get in to a PhD program at one of those labs or one currently doing work you’re interested in (from your journal digest).
This is the basic path to eventually doing your own scientific research with significant funding.

The reputation of the person who’s lab you do your graduate work in will have a much larger impact on your career than your undergraduate school, or the graduate school your lab is part of for that matter. All of which takes a backseat to hard work and ideas, provided you can earn the ant-y PhD from somewhere and find someone to fund your research.

Of course there are various off-ramps along the way, especially if you find you’re (describing myself) a less-than-ideal student. I never earned a PhD as planned, but completed a BS and found a path into scientific field work I truly enjoy.

Edited by MysticNanitic, February 7 2021 - 10:14 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#19 Offline antfanatic - Posted April 6 2022 - 4:51 AM

antfanatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Purdue university has a good entomology. I would like to study ants.

#20 Offline Martialis - Posted April 6 2022 - 6:35 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
I’m a student at Mississippi State University studying entomology. The museum here is pretty good. If you’re in the southeast (or even the eastern US), you’ve probably used resources put out by it. Actually I think they’ve done a good amount of Antwiki as well.

However, the only path for undergrads to take for entomology is as a concentration of the biochemistry major. That’a what I’m doing.

The Entomology/Plant Pathology department here is pretty solid in terms of faculty and courses I would think.

Not familiar with them as much, but TAMU, Kansas Starte, Iowa State...all seem to have good programs. UC Davis as well.

Edited by Martialis, April 6 2022 - 6:36 AM.

• gcsnelling, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users