• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding Camponoutus queens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 26 2019 - 11:01 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

A camponoutus queen I've had for a month and a half now has just laid eggs, should I give it some food?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted July 26 2019 - 11:14 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I have C. castaneus and C. Pennsylvanicus. The Castaneus queen has bee struggling and is on her second batch of eggs so I started feeding her fruit flies which she is eating. (I also completely changed her setup) My Pennsylvanicus Queen I've had for awhile and she took a long time to lay eggs, similar to yours sounds like. I just put a couple Fruit Flies in with her I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Technically they shouldn't need it but I think it can only help. :)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 26 2019 - 11:16 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

The best thing to do is leave her alone. Trying to feed her might stress her out and cause her to eat her eggs.

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 26 2019 - 12:33 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

A camponoutus queen I've had for a month and a half now has just laid eggs, should I give it some food?

From my experience feeding queens tends to yield higher success rates and higher worker counts(except for Formica lol) As long as the food has more benefits than the stress has harms, I say do it. Might want to individualize it based on your queen's personality tho

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 26 2019 - 1:56 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York
Also on a side note, my queen still has her wings

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 26 2019 - 2:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If you were to give her food, it should have been before she laid eggs. Then she had no eggs that she could eat.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline disasterants - Posted August 8 2019 - 12:04 PM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

with big camponotus queens, i always give them a little drop of honey right after capture and they seem to lay eggs much faster but its a bit late for that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users