• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messy Camponotus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ajtaylor1 - Posted July 25 2019 - 4:29 PM

Ajtaylor1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi everyone,

My second year Camponotus Novaeboracensis colony woke up this March in good health (in a test tube).  By May the colony had enough workers and I determined they would be better suited in a tar heel ants mini hearth XL formicarium.  The test tube was both moldy and it was becoming difficult to feed the colony without escapees.  In the mini hearth XL formicarium the colony wasn't clean with their trash.  I don't recall cleaning any of it the trash up out of the upper outworld.  The formicarium became very smelly so I attached a clean tar heel ants mini hearth formicarium as an alternative.  The colony moved after 24-48 hours with no drama into the new formicarium in about June.  Now, in late July, I fear the same colony is messy with their trash - the new formicarium (clean 5 weeks ago) now has the smell of acid.  Or ammonia? I have read the smell may be formic acid?  Its fairly potent.

Well, as of this time the colony sits in a Tar Heel Ants formicarium, ventilated with the top off, inside of an Ants Canada outworld.  I also have two dark test tubes residing inside to give the colony a new option for a nest if they deem theirs not livable.

I should note the eggs laid haven't matured or advanced in the last 6 weeks or so.  They are all of medium size and not getting to the cocoon stage.

What do I do with this colony?  Are they messy or moved in too quickly?  Do you think an open tubs and tubes setup might work best for the air circulation it could provide?

I have a different second year camponotus colony held in the same conditions and in a Tar Heel Ants formicarium which is doing extremely well.....

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 25 2019 - 4:37 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
The smell you speak of is almost indefinitely formic acid. You can't do anything about it. They spray acid when spooked, defending the colony or taking down prey. They sound like just a messy colony. It happens sometimes.
  • Somethinghmm likes this

#3 Offline Silq - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:06 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

What does formic acid or any acid smell like? I honestly have no clue. 

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 26 2019 - 5:45 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Don't inhale it. I have heard it can cause problems with the lungs and irritate the throat. You can tell it is formic acid because it will clear your sinuses. It is not good. You need a very well ventilated nest so there is no acid build up. If there is build up, it can harm the ants.
  • Somethinghmm likes this

#5 Offline DJoseph98 - Posted July 31 2019 - 2:44 PM

DJoseph98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Like white vinegar and it's more of the sensational of the membrane in your nostrils burning than a distinct smell. It's not very good for your respiratory system though since its like a chemical burn when you inhale too much.
  • TennesseeAnts and Silq like this

Current Colonies

1 x Camponotus nearcticus (Monogynous), 1 x Crematogaster cerasi (Monogynous), 1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Polygynous Two-Queen), 1 x Formica cf. pallidefulva (Monogynous, single worker),

1 x Lasius cf. americanus (Pleometrotic Founding, now Monogynous), 1 x Tetramorium immigrans (Monogynous)

Current Founding Units

1 x Formica cf. subsericea (Monogynous)

Up-To-Date as of 9/15/2020

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted July 31 2019 - 3:36 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Try capturing a Camponotus colony with a manual aspirator once! You'll never forget what formic Acid smells like! Lol.
I've had My first colony of C. Chromaiodes was pretty messy for awhile, but then started carrying all their trash out. My C. castaneus are stacking it in a corner of their mini hearth XL between the Water well and the glass. I can clean it there but I'm hoping they'll decide to carry it out. I think maybe in the mini hearths it's harder to carry trash out cause they need to go up. I wanna add a fortress when the numbers increase.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#7 Offline Silq - Posted July 31 2019 - 3:36 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Like white vinegar and it's more of the sensational of the membrane in your nostrils burning than a distinct smell. It's not very good for your respiratory system though since its like a chemical burn when you inhale too much.

well that is good to know. It is amazing how something so small can produce enough chemicals to harm you.

• DJoseph98 likes this

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users