• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long does egg>worker take?

tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted July 24 2019 - 8:39 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

The queen or "colony" I am wondering about is a Tetramorium Immigran with lots of eggs and larvae. About how long does it take for the eggs to turn from eggs to pupae or workers? Currently, my queen has a small pile of larvae and the rest are eggs. I found her on 7-11-19 and she laid eggs either one or two days after I found her. So for this post, I am going to say the larvae are 12 days old. So how much more time do you think I would have to wait for nanitics? I would think around three weeks for such small ants as Tetramorium but I have never housed them in the past surprisingly! 

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:41 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't keep tetras, as we don't have them, but it should take around a month at most for nanitics.

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 25 2019 - 11:35 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

In my experience, you should see your nanitics 3-4 weeks after the queen starts laying.

#4 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted July 25 2019 - 11:55 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
EDIT: I found her on 7-7-19 making the larvae 17 days old  AKA around two weeks and a half weeks old so from what you guys are saying I should only have to wait around a week or so more for my first workers! 

Thanks for your input on when I should be expecting nanitics!

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#5 Offline Oddyseous - Posted July 27 2019 - 8:00 AM

Oddyseous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMissouri

The queen or "colony" I am wondering about is a Tetramorium Immigran with lots of eggs and larvae. About how long does it take for the eggs to turn from eggs to pupae or workers? Currently, my queen has a small pile of larvae and the rest are eggs. I found her on 7-11-19 and she laid eggs either one or two days after I found her. So for this post, I am going to say the larvae are 12 days old. So how much more time do you think I would have to wait for nanitics? I would think around three weeks for such small ants as Tetramorium but I have never housed them in the past surprisingly! 

No idea about your specific species, but generally speaking 30 days more or less.

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 27 2019 - 8:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

No idea about your specific species, but generally speaking 30 days more or less.
They said what species they have.

For Tetramorium 30 or more days.

#7 Offline Oddyseous - Posted July 27 2019 - 9:27 AM

Oddyseous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMissouri

They said what species they have.

For Tetramorium 30 or more days.

I know he said what species he has, I just know nothing about it, so no idea about his species, but generally 30 days more or less. 

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 27 2019 - 9:40 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
There is a care sheet for them btw.

#9 Offline dermy - Posted July 27 2019 - 10:41 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

We seem to be missing one key informational piece here, what Temperature  are you currently keeping them at? If it's lower than normal room temperature for most people it might take them a bit longer than normal to develop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users