• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Nylanderia vividula Journal(Comeback!)

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 3 2019 - 7:35 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
They have so many larvae and pupae, that their worker count will more than double in a little over a week. They also have about 50 eggs. They should, in a month, be over 100 workers.

Edited by NickAnter, October 15 2019 - 6:05 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 3 2019 - 7:43 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
What did I tell you? Insane growth. Good luck! :D

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:20 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Yep. I seriously need put them in an outworld. Sadly, I don't have an outworld. Oh, quick question, can these climb fluon? Might be able to get a outworld today or tomorrow. Probably not though.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:35 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
They can if there is not adequate ventilation.
  • NickAnter likes this

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:37 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
So basically, it just needs to be dry? If so, then no problem.

Edited by NickAnter, September 3 2019 - 9:42 AM.

#26 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:40 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Yup. Btw they need tons of protein. They love fruit flies especially. Sugar water and possibly Sunburst was the superior sugar source for my colony.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, September 3 2019 - 9:40 AM.

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Yeah, I give them part of a mealworm very often. I now feed them a sugary mixture: 50% honey, 25% sugar, and 25% water. They love it. They also really like the mealworms.

#28 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 3 2019 - 9:45 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Mine liked crickets too.

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 8 2019 - 4:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, they have an outworld, by way of a snap cap vial with a hole in it which the test tube fits in. I put some sand in there, and they are trying to dig in it. They have also put quite a bit of sand in their tube. Not sure why, maybe to control heat, or if they prefer it to the plastic. They have about 75 pupae, and some repletes. I gave them some honey this morning, and they went insane for it. There were up to 8 workers at a time on one small drop. When one had its fill, another would take its place. Also, their tube is disgusting, due to the mealworm pieces in there. However, they don't seem to mind. I am temted to try to grow a chia seed in their outworld, using one of their small holes. Might add a bit of color. My only worry is that they will make a large enough tunnel in the sand if I moisten it, that they could move the colony out of view. I think if I only use one drop of water, on the seed, that it will work though. Also, there is a nylanderia colony in our front yard that has yellowish brown workers. Extremely light in color. Sadly, my colony is not of that color morph, as it seems to be fairly uncommon. Maybe next year I will get one. Soon, they will have 100 workers.

Edited by NickAnter, October 15 2019 - 6:07 PM.

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 15 2019 - 10:04 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They are at about 75 workers, and still have about 30 pupae. They also have about 150 eggs and small larvae. I have been feeding them my honey mixture, and mealworm pieces. They have also been piling sand on condensation, probably to prevent drownings. I am going to try to start on the the firebrick formicarium soon. I could, if my dad lets me use his drill, finish it today.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 15 2019 - 10:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Pics?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 15 2019 - 11:28 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Sadly good pics are impossible. They have plastered a lot of sand in the tube, and they move so fast, that my phone won't focus under magnification. I could take a picture of the setup zoomed out if you would like though.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 7:16 AM.

#33 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 18 2019 - 6:12 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Ughhh. Tempted to just buy a THA formicarium and savethe waiting. My dad has like a million projects, so because he has to used the giant saw to cut a third out of the large firebrick, I have to wait. I suppose I could try to move them into a large glass tube. The only thing is, after that, it would be harder to move them into a permanemt formicarium.

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 20 2019 - 6:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Id say they are at or over 100 workers, with about 250 more on the way. I have placed them in a proper outworld, and put a large, glass tube in, so that eventually, they can move in. When they move into the glass tube I will be able to get good pictures. They swarmed over a mealworm today, and several workers completely filled themselves on mealworm guts. Also, they seem to designate repletes at birth, because some workers, as soon as they are born, are filled with food. Their repletes seem to fill up on both protien, and sugars. I am still just giving them mealworms and my sugary mixture. I would just dump them into the glass tube, but that would mean that sand would get in, making the move pointless, as the new would get dirty. I will update this again when they move into the glass tube.

#35 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 22 2019 - 1:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I dumped them into the outworld.  Soon, they will move into the clean tube. I know this sounds rash, but they were not going to move out of the old tube, and I am impatient, hence the dumping.  I have read quite a bit about how this doesn't seem to bother colonies that much, so they should be fine.

#36 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 22 2019 - 5:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They seem to be having a civil war.  Only a few workers are being fought though.  I feel so stupid now.  Hopefully they survive.  won't check on them for a few days. :facepalm: :facepalm: :*( The queen is only residing in the plug, and I feared that she was stuck, so I tried to blow in the hole and they freaked out.  Will update in a week.  There somehow appears to be less brood, after I blew, though I don't see how that happen, I did not inhale and I don't think they are capable of eating 30 pupae.  At least they are all moved into the tube.

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 23 2019 - 6:33 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well they are doing fine. Somehow the queen escaped, and I found her on my desk, and put her back where she belongs. She fully moved into the tube, and they are doing fine.

#38 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 28 2019 - 9:10 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Still gaining workers daily. Here is a mediocre pic of them feeding:

#39 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 4 2019 - 5:43 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
They still have insane amounts of brood, and never stop eating. They seem to never refuse protien. However, as the have so many repletes, their sugar intake has gone down.

#40 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 5 2019 - 5:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Wow, they must have hit a worker point where they become agressive. When I put in a half dead mealworm, workers would be eating from it, while other would be grabbing on to the flailing legs, and spraying formic acid. Within minutes, there was over 30 workers in the outworld, swarming around. At times the mealworm had up to 25 workers on it. After that I gave them some honey, and twelve workers were on that. They have about 100 eggs, and about 30-35 pupae/large larvae.

Edited by NickAnter, October 15 2019 - 6:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users