• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Nylanderia vividula Journal(Comeback!)

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 23 2019 - 6:02 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I currently have two of these queens. One was caught on June 30, and the other, yesterday, July 22. The first one, laid within a week, but it took quite a while for her eggs to hatch. She has about 100 eggs, and 6 larvae. Both were found around the same time in the morning, about 9:30, and with wings on. Hopefully queen 1 gets workers before August 11, when we go camping for a week. Also, I hope that I don't have the troubles that others went through when raising this species, with mysterious die-offs.

Edited by NickAnter, September 29 2020 - 11:12 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 25 2019 - 3:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
She now has over 20 larvae, and still has way over 50 eggs!!!!
  • BugFinder likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 26 2019 - 10:22 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

So she now has about 30 larvae, upon closer inspection, and she ate the remaining eggs. I will not update on Queen 1 for a week(Edit:So much for that) In that time she should have pupae. Queen Two now has a partner, Queen 3 which was found this morning when I go for a walk, which has yielded many queens. She was found as a dealate, at about 9:45 am, as with all of them. They seem to be getting along well.

Edited by NickAnter, August 6 2019 - 5:47 PM.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 27 2019 - 9:57 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
She laid about 10 more eggs.
She also has a pupa now!!!

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 27 2019 - 10:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
See? I knew she was a good queen!

Good luck!
  • NickAnter likes this

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 27 2019 - 10:32 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thanks!  And yep, you were definitely right.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 1 2019 - 9:34 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

IDK how many pupae she has now, at least five.  Her overall brood pile is bigger than she is now as well.  All in all, this queen is broken, and will get workers soon.  The dual queen setup has laid a couple eggs, and I also caught another queen this morning.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 3 2019 - 6:21 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
A worker eclosed, but she ate almost all of her pupae, leaving only three. So now she has a very small brood pile. I think that she laid too many eggs, and needed energy so she gorged herself on brood. Hopefully she does okay.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 7:13 AM.

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 3 2019 - 2:39 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

She now has two workers, and I was wrong about her eating all her pupae, she still has like five, and about ten larvae. I already gave them some honey, and the first droplet of honey that the queen found, she guzzled.  I hope that this colony does not die out at 100 workers like Drew's colonies.  Once they get to fifty workers, I will put them in a more naturalistic nest, as that is my guess as to why they die off.

Edited by NickAnter, August 4 2019 - 7:38 AM.

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 4 2019 - 7:37 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
She now has three workers, and is very fat, probably from the honey, and she laid more eggs. All in all, they are doing very well! Later today I will give them a piece of mealworm, as they they have many larvae.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 7:13 AM.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 6 2019 - 5:20 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

All the workers are now filled up on honey.  I also gave them a mealworm head, as well as a piece of sunflower seed to feed their larvae.  The workers are so fast and active, as soon as I take the post-it-note cover off of their tube, the all run around like crazy, but now, the queen does not even move.  Before she had workers she too was very skittish.  They also have a couple tan pupae, so they should eclose tomorrow.   Hopefully they will have ten workers within a week, as they should, at this rate.  I will post pics on Friday. Edit(Friday): This might not happen, due to the fact that my stupid phone is not focusing.  Maybe the following week if not today.

Edited by NickAnter, August 9 2019 - 2:18 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Acutus like this

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 8 2019 - 7:33 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Queen 2 beheaded queen three. I guess the ones here are NOT polygynous. :facepalm: Queen 1 now has 6 workers, 30 eggs, and about 20 larvae. :yes: A funny thing is, is that I put a piece of sunflower seed in all my Pheidole colonies and this colony.  The Pheidole oddly did not touch it(possibly due to the lack of majors), while this colony, has now almost completely devoured it! 

Edited by NickAnter, August 9 2019 - 2:17 PM.

• Canadant and TennesseeAnts like this

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 23 2019 - 11:27 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Over ten workers now, and tons of brood of all stages.  I am going to move them into a firebrick formicarium as soon as I can make it.  I am hoping that this will help avoid the die off that usually occur in this species around 100 workers.  I think that this is because of the test tube environment.  Later today, I will give them some honey and mealworm guts.

#14 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted August 23 2019 - 5:34 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Good luck, my old colony suddenly died off around this worker mark.

Plants r cool

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 24 2019 - 9:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They now have even more workers, and still tons of brood.  Yesterday I put in a mealworm head, and now it is sucked dry.  I really need to make a formicarium and out-world for these girls.  Test tube feeding is rather stressful.  I already have a design planned out, but I just need to carve it, order the outworld and some small vinyl tubing.

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 25 2019 - 11:18 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

All the workers are completely full of honey!  They look like miniature P. imparis. :D Speaking of which, they are my target species for next year.   Also, I got an accurate worker count of 12. She has about 100 small larvae and eggs, as well as about ten large larvae, and a pupa.   Once they hit 25 workers, I am going to need to put them in an outworld, firebrick formicarium or no.  They are just so insanely fast! 

#17 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 29 2019 - 12:35 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
So far, I can see about 20, well fed medium larvae, but there are probably more, hidden. Here are some potato quality pictures, due to the facts of a scratched tube, and workers moving everywhere.

A full sized worker who is a replete.

Double trophallaxis!

Casually drinking mealworm guts.

Oh, and they have 20 or more workers.

Edited by NickAnter, March 16 2020 - 7:15 AM.

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 29 2019 - 1:47 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I got a new Nylanderia terricola colony. A queen and about 60 workers and 100 brood.
  • NickAnter likes this

#19 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 29 2019 - 1:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Cool!  I hope they do well!

#20 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 30 2019 - 12:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
She laid a large batch of eggs, right on cue after feeding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users