• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What sort of camera do you use?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted July 21 2019 - 1:01 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

I was wondering what camera or macro lens you use to photograph ants or take high quality photos. My phone is not very high quality and the pictures it can take are very blurry and terrible for the sort of things I want to photograph (ants, nature scenery, etc.) So I was wondering what type of camera you use or what kinda of macro lens. And if you could direct me towards some affordable good quality lenses or cameras that would be amazing! Thanks!

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#2 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 21 2019 - 1:11 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

https://www.amazon.c...8-1-spons&psc=1

The one I use.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#3 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted July 21 2019 - 1:59 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Thanks! Could I perhaps see some pictures you have taken with it? Thank you so much!

#4 Offline AntPhycho - Posted July 21 2019 - 2:05 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

http://www.formicult...hin-california/

Keep in mind these ants were moving non stop when exposed to light so some were a little blurry. It does a great job with even my smallest ants (forelius) 

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#5 Offline Macleod - Posted July 25 2019 - 6:59 AM

Macleod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Personally I prefer to use phone camera since I can't always carry a camera with me. I prefer iPhone X and Huawei P20 for the best quality.

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 25 2019 - 7:11 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I use a Nikon D3300. I got a couple years ago for all around use, and still haven't really learned how to use it. I'm sure the pics I take with it could be much better as it is a good camera, but I really suck at photography.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:02 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I use a Nikon D3300. I got a couple years ago for all around use, and still haven't really learned how to use it. I'm sure the pics I take with it could be much better as it is a good camera, but I really suck at photography.

I also use a D3300. There are some pictures on my website: www.Antsylvania.com.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:05 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Wow really! Ouch! Now when I compare your pics to mine I feel even worse :lol:  :lol:

#9 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:18 AM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Nice self-promo and can I say wow those pictures look amazing! Looks better than real life!

#10 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:19 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Nice self-promo and can I say wow those pictures look amazing! Looks better than real life!

Exactly! The camera sees things clearer than my eyeballs!

#11 Offline Ender Ants - Posted July 27 2019 - 9:12 AM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

I used to take pictures with my iPhone SE with a clip on macro lens. (All photos edited on Instagram)

Was able to achieve these photos:

Screen-Shot-2019-07-27-at-9-58-49-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-07-27-at-9-59-10-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-07-27-at-9-59-34-AM.png

Now I use a Canon SL2 with extension tubes (all unedited except for the last picture):

IMG-2854.jpg

IMG-2856.jpg

IMG-2798.jpg

IMG-2828.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-07-27-at-10-02-59-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2019-07-27-at-10-01-42-AM.pn

The clip on lens has a mini fish eye effect around the sides of the camera, but it is a still a very good option to taking pictures or recording ants (I had to up the exposure for my clip on lens to get the white background). You also need more light when using a camera with extension tubes compared to an iPhone clip on lens. Using extension tubes, there isn't as much of a fish eye effect, and the backgrounds are dark black, or white without needing any editing. One thing is certain though, making videos with an actual camera is much more crisp than using a clip on lens :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users