• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to recover colony?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted July 20 2019 - 4:04 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So when I screw up on something with some of my colonies or something workers die. Then I can't seem to recover the colony later on. It seems like if one of my colonies starts to lose workers it is bad news for me. So I just wanted to ask some of you guys what you do.

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#2 Offline KBant - Posted July 20 2019 - 4:59 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Verrrrrrry vague bro. Who knows what the problem with your care is. There is no way to say what we do. Be more specific with your question: mention a specific specifies, how you’re taking care of them, a specific problem with that species, etc.

#3 Offline dermy - Posted July 20 2019 - 9:35 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I know some call it cheating but Brood Boosting with pupae from a wild colony is always an option.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2019 - 4:57 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I know some call it cheating but Brood Boosting with pupae from a wild colony is always an option.

I don’t think it’s cheating I think it’s being smart.

#5 Offline Acutus - Posted July 21 2019 - 12:50 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Verrrrrrry vague bro. Who knows what the problem with your care is. There is no way to say what we do. Be more specific with your question: mention a specific specifies, how you’re taking care of them, a specific problem with that species, etc.

I think this is very true! The real answer is to correct what is wrong. That's kind of a case by case basis type thing.

The key is learn as much as you possibly can about each species you care for and when you feel you've made mistakes don't be afraid or embarrassed to come here and seek specific help. With all the keepers here you can bet whatever mistakes you make have been made by a hundred of us as well and you will find people that know exactly what to do. :)

I remember not too long ago a small Crematogaster colony I have was down to 11 workers and I was bummed. I made the comment in another thread about it saying I didn't understand what I was doing wrong. Antdrew wrote back to give them more food, they eat a lot. Sure enough I now have more than 100 workers. I never realized such tiny ants ate so much! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 21 2019 - 5:59 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had a camponotus queen recover while I was in china. three pupae, one a darker color. not sure how it happened , but its possible

Edited by ponerinecat, July 21 2019 - 5:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users