• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The time has come...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Fitzysgto - Posted July 16 2019 - 11:33 AM

Fitzysgto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have 4 queens in test tubes. 3 out of 4 have eggs that hatched. What do I do now? When can I move them in to the formicarium. What do I do with the other queens? I know that they won't get along. I need whatever info i can get.

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 16 2019 - 11:40 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You just wait.  A lot of keeping ants is patience.  The best time to move colonies from the tubes is when it becomes too hard to feed them or they are obviously overcrowded.  Depending on the species, they can be kept separately, but I typically just keep every queen separate.

#3 Offline Fitzysgto - Posted July 16 2019 - 11:59 AM

Fitzysgto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Should I just put a dab of honey on the cotton?

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 16 2019 - 12:11 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Should I just put a dab of honey on the cotton?

I recommend not using honey because it has a greater chance of trapping the ants.  You should use sugar:water with a ratio of 1:3 (respectively) and put it on a tray of aluminum foil so you can easily remove the remaining.  Another alternative is Sunburst by byFormica.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users