• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica neogagates no longer eating mealworms and crickets

formica neogagates diet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted July 22 2019 - 5:55 AM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

My colony of Formica neogagates has stopped eating mealworms and crickets, what other food substitutes are there? Also, why is this happening?

Plants r cool

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 22 2019 - 6:19 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
They might like fruit flies. Mine loved them.

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted July 22 2019 - 7:24 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

My colony of Formica neogagates has stopped eating mealworms and crickets, what other food substitutes are there? Also, why is this happening?

I think to answer your question you'd have to ask, What, if anything, has changed? Warmer? More Humid? Less Humid? Cooler? Are they simply full? Is this a species that can have repletes? Maybe going into Diapause?

the fruit fly suggestion is awesome! I just started using them and the ants go crazy running around and catching them. Give it a try! :D

Good Luck!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 22 2019 - 9:40 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

It could be because they need more variety. It could be because they had enough protein stored and thus don't need the excess you are providing them. I agree with trying the fruit flies, but also maybe try other foods, even human foods like eggs or chicken. If they don't take to anything, I wouldn't worry about it too much, it could just mean they have had enough for now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica neogagates, diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users