• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mad's Camponotus cf. Caryae journal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 12 2019 - 6:45 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
I don't know how to edit titles, so I'm just making a new journal instead of turning the parasitic queen journal into another, I'm just gonna make this one. Today I had searched for a while outside on what should have been a good day, but I had found nothing. I was preparing food, and I went over to a window, lo and behold, I saw a beautiful queen. I may have smushed a few plants in the process of scrambling to get her, but it was worth it when she was ID'd as a most likely a common caryae color morph, or a very rare nearcticus color morph, either way, I am happy because I'm fairly certain that noone else in Ohio has one like this, I just have to hope she's fertile, and does well.e71de19b70e9906b5cd771fd31d3120c.jpg57735e9ce35495ec520e9c6db6230bd1.jpge38a7d6e08f2ae00d35825c95fd2d837.jpg98e1444b42965e265cbcffe380bad246.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by madbiologist, January 19 2020 - 10:31 AM.

#2 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 17 2019 - 6:26 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
So I checked on her a day ago and she was dead. That sucks, she was super cool looking and I was hoping to see what the workers would look like. Anyways, if anyone knows how to edit titles I would like to know so I don't have to make new journals.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 20 2019 - 2:18 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
If you edit a post you can use full editor to edit the title too.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 21 2019 - 6:36 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Not sure where you're located, but this is more likely to be a dark variation of Camponotus snellingi.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 21 2019 - 6:39 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Not sure where you're located, but this is more likely to be a dark variation of Camponotus snellingi.

I'm in Ohio, we don't have snellingi.

Edited by madbiologist, July 21 2019 - 6:40 AM.

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2019 - 7:14 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Doesn’t look like snellingi to me.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2019 - 7:16 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Snellingi lacks the hairs on the abdomen and has only one abdomen segment that is a different color.

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 21 2019 - 8:25 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Snellingi lacks the hairs on the abdomen and has only one abdomen segment that is a different color.

Not true. They have a huge variation in color. What he has is most likely snellingi.

#9 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 21 2019 - 9:09 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

C. snellingi most definitely does not lack gastric hairs. Antmaps also only accounts for registered specimens. I find it unlikely that there are only 57 species in Kentucky, but over 100 in nearly all of the adjacent states.

Sometimes a little educated guessing is warranted.

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 21 2019 - 9:25 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Oh, I see. I went off of photos that I saw in journals where you couldn’t see the hairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users