• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

EchoMeter4's Atta mexicana Journal

atta mexicana atta mexicana leaf cutter ants fungus growing ants journal ant

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted July 11 2019 - 1:09 AM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

June 6

I captured 11 Atta mexicana queens when they flew in the morning and placed them in some plaster of paris setups I made a few weeks ago.

Edited by EchoMeter4, July 11 2019 - 1:44 AM.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#2 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted July 11 2019 - 1:11 AM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

June 7

Three of the Atta queens died overnight so I'm down to 8 but some have a little ball of something they're tending to. 

June 12

The first decent sized patches of fungus start to appear, specially in these two queens, still strong at 8 queens.

June 15

I decided I'm going to hydrate their setups every three days and I'll take some pics every now and then of certain queens.

The fungus continues to develop and still going strong at 8 queens.

This queen is somehow missing that patch on her back, really weird, she's fine but with no fungus visible.

June 18

Fungus is thriving in most queens, if I recall correctly there's only one queen missing fungus at this point, still 8 queens but 7 with fungus.

June 21

Fungus is doing nicely and you can see the first eggs turning into larvae, still going with the 8 queens. Also, the queen with the missing back is doing a comeback haha. Still going strong at 8 queens but now 8 with fungus, I gave about 3mm of fungus to the queen that had no fungus since she had made it this far without it and the other queens were doing amazing, I thought I had some pictures of that but I can't find them

June 24

We had a giant thunderstorm in Querétaro and atta mexicana flew again, so I caught 8 more so I now have 16 queens. That picture only shows 6 though.

June 26

One of the atta queens I caught on June 24 died so I'm down to 15.

The atta from June 6 have now good sized larvae.

July 2

The brood is deveolping greatly and the fungus is doing pretty good on the attas from June 6.

This one is the one that had no fungus for about two weeks and then got 3mm from another queen, she's doing amazingly.

The attas that were captured on June 24 had one more loss but this one was a queen with fungus and I sold another queen with fungus which puts me at 13 queens, I also transferred fungus to the two that didn't have fungus today so all those 14 atta have fungus but they're doing well.

July 5

First pupae start to appear, 13 queens still alive and doing well.

July 11

All 13 queens are doing well and you can see the eye of the pupae now!

Next update will be when they get nanitics.

Edited by EchoMeter4, July 11 2019 - 1:42 AM.

• AnthonyP163, Ant_Dude2908, rbarreto and 1 other like this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 11 2019 - 4:38 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan
Good job!
  • Ant_Dude2908 likes this

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 11 2019 - 9:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Best get your lottery ticket! You’re lucky, bro!

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline Acutus - Posted July 11 2019 - 10:39 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Wow!!! Just awesome!! I love the shot with your hand to show how big these gals are! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Aphaenogaster "NOT tennesseensis" fulva

#6 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted July 11 2019 - 1:33 PM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Wow!!! Just awesome!! I love the shot with your hand to show how big these gals are! :D

Yeah, It's truly awesome watching them wander around the streets when they fly!

• AnthonyP163 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atta, mexicana, atta mexicana, leaf cutter ants, fungus growing ants, journal, ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users