• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

EchoMeter4's Atta mexicana Journal Updated 08/21/2019 (Feeding video)

atta mexicana atta mexicana leaf cutter ants fungus growing ants journal ant

27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted August 22 2019 - 11:45 AM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The video finished uploading to youtube overnight, that is the feeding I did yesterday. (No editing because I'm too lazy to do it)

• Mdrogun, Karma and PacificNorthWestern like this

Boycott the Ants & Antkeeping discord server. Find alternatives wherever you can and avoid the totalitarian mods there.

#22 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 22 2019 - 3:48 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I love this journal, ITS AMAZING not too many people get even one leafcutter queen to even found but you got THAT MANY to found and be sucessfull its amazing and if Atta Mexicana get put on the list for legal species COUNT ME IN also do you hibernate these guys or no?

#23 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 22 2019 - 4:55 PM

madbiologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I love this journal, ITS AMAZING not too many people get even one leafcutter queen to even found but you got THAT MANY to found and be sucessfull its amazing and if Atta Mexicana get put on the list for legal species COUNT ME IN also do you hibernate these guys or no?

You're gonna need a 526 for those, they are the definition of plant pest. XD

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • Ant_Dude2908 and rbarreto like this

#24 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted August 23 2019 - 10:07 AM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I love this journal, ITS AMAZING not too many people get even one leafcutter queen to even found but you got THAT MANY to found and be sucessfull its amazing and if Atta Mexicana get put on the list for legal species COUNT ME IN also do you hibernate these guys or no?

Haha thanks! I also got surprised at how relatively easy they were for me. I sadly don't think they'll get on the list because they really are a pest but I hope you get to keep them one day if you move to a place that has them, they are amazing. And about the hibernation uhh... I don't think I do, we don't really get temperatures that make any ant hibernate at all but since I live in a semi desert we have a dry season were everything just kind of yeah... dries up and in that period of time I don't see that many colonies, just big ones that are in the city taking advantage of how we water the plants all year round.

Boycott the Ants & Antkeeping discord server. Find alternatives wherever you can and avoid the totalitarian mods there.

#25 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted August 23 2019 - 10:39 AM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

August 23

I sold two atta colonies today, the one with like 4 workers and one of the small colonies.

• Mdrogun likes this

#26 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted September 4 2019 - 3:48 PM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Wednesday 4

Well, just a quick update. All colonies but one are doing nicely, I couldn't feed them as much as I do regularly last week so they didn't grow as much. The one that I said wasn't doing nicely got a mini crisis, they teared like 30% of their fungus after I fed them but they're back at their original amount of fungus so their progress was just delayed but anyway... here's a pic of my most advanced colony.

• AnthonyP163, FSTP, YsTheAnt and 4 others like this

#27 Offline EchoMeter4 - Posted September 4 2019 - 10:47 PM

EchoMeter4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hey, I'd like to know if any of you guys have any cheap container suggestions for bigger and better looking atta enclosures.

#28 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted September 5 2019 - 1:44 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationWest Springfield, Fairfax County, VA, USA

Try Target's food containers, you'll have to do some slight modifications like plastering the bottoms or whatever you what to add but they work AMAZING for fungus growing species. I have Trachymyrmex sept. in them right now.

https://www.target.c...et/-/A-15295140

• EchoMeter4 likes this

-Haden Lee
Keeps:

NATIVE:  Stigmatomma pallipes-7  Formica integra-1   Tetramorium immigrans-1    Trachymyrmex sept. -6

NON-NATIVE: Solenopsis invicta-1

Extra: Savannah monitor lizard-1    Drywood termites-1 (ID Unknown)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atta, mexicana, atta mexicana, leaf cutter ants, fungus growing ants, journal, ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users